MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I have a Peru flounder that I got from the LFS which had an open sore on the bottom of its lip. I was able to check it today and it doesn’t seem to be healing. He is still eating, which is good. But I am going to move him to a bare bottom hospital tank.

Is there anything I can treat him topically when I move him? Any sort of treatment recommendation while he’s in the hospital tank?8D9E18EC-2C59-4894-A5CB-079C04786100.jpeg

DC9ECBE2-9D15-464C-AACD-C7C2F4B87651.jpeg

DD1BDD72-8C20-4203-BFBD-6FEF7CF0C50C.jpeg

Attachments

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Clean water and good food is number one for injury. I’d also treat with an antibiotic to be safe.
Do you know how it could have gotten injured? Removing the source of the problem is crucial to prevent further damage.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
It's possible that it was caused by the substrate. Typically sand would be the better option imo.

Reactions: Deadeye

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I wouldn't put a topical treatment directly on the sore (I'm assuming you have no experience in doing this). I would have methylene blue and kanaplex on hand just in case it gets worse. Methylene blue will stain plastic and silicone. Using both will surely kill the bacteria in the quarantine tank, so you will have to do daily water changes using water from your old tank, or pre treating water in a bucket and letting it sit for a day in that pre-treament bucket (with an airstone or circulation pump).

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
Clean water and good food is number one for injury. I’d also treat with an antibiotic to be safe.
Do you know how it could have gotten injured? Removing the source of the problem is crucial to prevent further damage.
Fish had the sore when I bought it.

It's possible that it was caused by the substrate. Typically sand would be the better option imo.
It is already in pool filter sand.

I wouldn't put a topical treatment directly on the sore (I'm assuming you have no experience in doing this). I would have methylene blue and kanaplex on hand just in case it gets worse. Methylene blue will stain plastic and silicone. Using both will surely kill the bacteria in the quarantine tank, so you will have to do daily water changes using water from your old tank, or pre treating water in a bucket and letting it sit for a day in that pre-treament bucket (with an airstone or circulation pump).
Just to clarify, if it gets worse, I can treat him for 24 hours in a container with methylene blue and kanaplex?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Just to clarify, if it gets worse, I can treat him for 24 hours in a container with methylene blue and kanaplex?
I would treat the maximum treatment time for Kanaplex which is dosing 2 more times after the initial dose (3 doses total). Each dose is separated by 48 hours. So it's more than 24 hours, it's about 7 days.

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
What methylene blue regiment and dosage do you recommend? Just whatever’s on the bottle? And is methylene blue and kanaplex at the same time too much?

Wound got worst and he stopped eating but he’s still very active at night I’ve isolated him in a hospital tank and will now separately treat him, hopefully before it’s too late and the takes a turn for the worst.

DD428596-7F64-440A-9EA6-BAFA35375542.jpeg

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Follow the bottle's instructions for methylene blue dosage, keep the dosage for at least one week. Mixing kanaplex in the water is not an issue, use the maximum dosage period (about 6 days with redosing every 48 hours). I've done this with scaleless fish.

Be aware you will need to do daily water changes, and redose for the amount of the water changed. It's best to use water from an established tank because water conditioners will reduce the effectiveness of methylene blue. Methylene blue will stain silicone, so be careful when using it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store