opening a LFS

blackhawkpowers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2008
Georgia
Well the title says it. I am considering opening up a LFS here and I was wondering if there were any owners that frequent this forum with some advice on what to keep my eyes open for. Also for any ideas from the members of things they would like to see other than good/healthy selection and low prices;)

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
I really like oddball fish. I don't know how profitable they would be though. Unless you know that you can draw in the people, who would be interested in that kind of thing, most of your stock would probably need to be common fish. If the LFS's near you mostly sell common fish, you might be able to get away with selling more unusual fish. Your shop might become known as the place to get the rarer/more unsual fish.

xiahaolong168

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2008
NEW YORK CITY
Druu;2654948; said:
If you don't have a degree from a reputable four year college, don't waste your time.

well...thats untrue...I have a lfs by me and the owner barely speaks any english. He's very successful though. His house is huge and he has a huge fishroom for breeding discus.

nuggets

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2008
cichlid world
Druu;2654948; said:
If you don't have a degree from a reputable four year college, don't waste your time.
4 year degree doesent mean squat to open a fish store!!!!!:ROFL:

le patron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
USA
i'd personally like to see more pbass, some rays, and less common piranhas

Goanna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2008
Staten Island NY
Druu;2654948;2654948 said:
While taking some business courses cant hurt, if you have common sense and the ability to do your own research and planning before you delve into anything, there's no reason someone without a college education cant open a business.

Druu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Notre Dame, IN
Unless you have funding already, good luck getting a loan from a bank without a degree. Xia, I agree that a lot of the owners in Chinatown have moderate success, but that's because they've been established for a while. Even with all their knowledge, a bank would not give them any capital, especially in this economy.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Good points,I thought about looking in to it whenone one of my favorite stores closed down but I dont know what they did wrong to cause them to shut down they have been around seemingly forever and they seemed to do a good business but one day the place was locked up and days later,they were emptying the place out.I guess location is important,you dont want to be near the big box stores but then you dont want to be in a remote area where there are no other stores to help attract customers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store