Opinions on Bullhead Cats

carolinyens

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2009
butner,nc
So I have a 55gal Native tank that right now houses a single crappie, a few plants that I have acquired from my local fishing holes, a few pieces of driftwood and plenty of ramshorn snails. When the summer time comes theres a spot on one of my fishin spots that holds Bullheads. I was thinkin about acquiring one for this tank. Anyone with experience with these or have read posts about these are welcome to chime in. I need to know how it will react with the crappie(assuming my crappie has the temperment), will it eat my plants(with proper feedings) and how will it affect my snail population? I have thought about maybe seeing if the LFS will trade my snails for other supplies I need since I dont have experience with shipping live animals and not really sure that I want to deal with it but I dont want them to be wiped out either.

carolinyens

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2009
butner,nc
I'd get a bigger tank first. madtoms are a better size for that tank.
After searching through some other posts, this seems to be the consensus. I guess itll just have to stay the way it is for now.

@rays thx for the input. that was my working theory but I just apparently dont have the space.

FishFreak95

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2009
New Mexico
If you can get them the space, there awesome wet pets. I remember when I had a 90 gallon I caught a little 1/2" fry and raised till it was 7 inches in no time, fastest growing fish I kept. ate outa my hand and even would even swim under my hand to be pet. Then I felt that it might be happier in my little turtle pond, next day it was dead.

Sent from my SPH-D600 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

trick1441

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Minnesota
You can keep bullhead with your crappie. I had a brown bullhead and a few crappies with the bass I currently have and I didn't have any issues. The bullhead was the most boring fish to watch though he just stayed in the same spot in this little cave thing I made him. I added him to the tank for a little diversity.

I got a bunch of free largemouth from my lfs that someone didn't want and I put them in my little pond in my backyard. After the first day one was missing and the second day another was missing. So I decided to put my trail cam out there the dang raccoons kept taking them! You wouldn't believe all the animals that stopped by to check out the pond.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thechief

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
the dirty south
I have a yellow bullhead that is the biggest fish in the tank right now and a crappie that is the smallest In the tank and nothing has happened yet I really like mine he comes out and swims a lot and eats out if my hand he is really awesome but get a bigger tank first for sure once you get one I'm sure you will love him and also they are really easy to get on to food you want them to eat

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
I personally love bull heads but they are perhaps the most voracious eaters I've ever kept, they can also become EXTREMELY aggressive when feeding, I've had bull head attack larger turtles and other fish in the frenzy. They can and will eat anything meaty, don't know about plants. They will will will obliterate your snail population. If you keep them you'll barely see them move except when they smell food then they are crazy. If you keep them you will enjoy them, after you get over how insane they can be. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store