Opinions on keeping multiple Crenicichla in one aquarium

Beterharkin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2023
I’ve heard a lot of mixed opinions on keeping multiple crenicichla together. I have a 150 gallon 24w 30tall and 48 wide. With:
-Bumblebee oscar
-Rosemarie pike
-KK Blood parrot
-Kelberi Peacock bass
-Chocolate pleco
I‘d like to add another crencichla. Would this result in more aggression? All the fish are about the same size in the 8-12 inch range

Goggy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2015
Thailand
Risky post.

To answer your question, this will not result in more aggression as the fish in your tank does not have any territory to fight over, it is a tiny, overstocked 4-foot aquarium.

To be frank, lugubris-group crenicichla, cichla, and oscars cannot live in such a small aquarium, you should honestly rehome the fish or put them in larger tanks if you can.

Beterharkin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2023
Gotcha. I have a 500 gallon that a lot of these fish will go to when they are large enough

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Gotcha. I have a 500 gallon that a lot of these fish will go to when they are large enough
Seen some pikes mixed together. These were in big tanks. Also had large pbass and other monster dish in there too. The pikes likely were kept in their place by the number of fish and size of the preds. Better to try it in a large tank than a small tank if you do it.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Key ingredients from someone doing this now: High flow, stocking density, grown out together, well fed, enough space

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store