Opinions welcomed! Future plans, need help!

whalp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2024
Hey guys, I'm looking to get some advice to see what should I do. I have plans for a very large fiberglass tank in about 2-3 years from now (16'x7'x4'). For now, in a few months, I am planning to get a smaller but still large tank for a permanent home for a few fishes and grow out for others. My 2 tank ideas are a, LxWxH, 200 gallon 8ft×2ftx20in or a 390 10ft×3ftx2ft. The idea with the 390 is a permanent home for more fishes that could stay in there, but if I am getting an even larger tank in the future would it be a waste and just go with the 200 grow out instead?
Future fishes: Oscars, Congo Bichirs(giant bichir), Florida gar, Arowanna, Azul Peacocks, Lince Catfish, Tiger shovel Nose, maybe an RTC however even with the plans of a 16x7 I still feel uncomfortable putting a fish that bulky in even that tank.

This is all future planning, nothing has been bought or solidified yet. I'd like some insight on what you'd guys do in terms of effeciency. Should I save some money and get the 200 grow out? Should I go big and perma house some of these fishes in that 390? If perma house in 390 any alternatives to the Lince as they are too active for that size tank?(prefer body shape, color, and activity)

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Some of the fish choice would probably need the larger pond but would equally outgrow some of the other fish, which in turn could live full lives in the 390. As a perm for the 390 I would look at something like a bolt catfish or one of the larger pims, maybe even the albino hemibagrus nemurus (which tend to stay smaller than the lince would and are much less active).

whalp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2024
Yeah the plan is still to get the larger pond for the Aro, TSN, Gar and Lince. I would probably have a good 2 years to save up for the bigger tank while they grow to proper size but not enough to break that tank. Of course ill get the down payment before buying the fishes. The 390 would possibly let me keep the Azul and Congo Bichir in the tank without moving. Interesting ill look into those catfish thank you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store