Optimizing Filtration

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I was just wondering what folks are doing to optimize their filtration. I just upgraded to a 180g an am curious what folks are doing. I am more interested in many filtration types/media versus just "overfiltering"

Current Setup

180g

2 AC110s (was using a FX5 on 75g and did not like the maintenance)
Mechanical - Standard ac110 sponges cut in half to take up less space (1st layer), filter floss (2nd layer)
Bio - as much biomax as will fit in the ac110s bags (between the ac110s I was able to fit 2/3rds of my bio media from my fx5)
Chemical - 2 bags of purigen, planning to add some carbon to help with the tank smell (I am hoping this will go away once everything is up and running)
Other - Adding earthworm septic (about 2tbl) each time after a water change

Plans

1) Thinking of adding a easy to open canister (SunSun) that will be pure Bio
2) If I do item 1, I will be adding pothos to my HOB filters, reducing the biomax, and possibly adding something like marine pure
3) Like the aquatop/sunsun because they have built in UV sterilizers (care about this more from an algae perspective)
4) I am going to attempt to add live plants to help with nitrates but if the rhom/manueli dont like them I will have to stick to porthos in HOB

Goals
- I am lazy and have very little time. The less maintenance the better.
- Purgen/Plants are to reduce to nitrates, UV is to prevent algae.
- Septic bacteria is to help eat waste/excess food to limit gravel vacuuming
- I want to literally just doing a water change every 2 weeks where I change about 30-40%

Regret

Should have done a sump so I can have everything in one place instead of 2 HOB and possibly adding a 3rd filter (would be needed because of limited space). In months to come I might get board, scrap everything and get a lifereef HOB overflow and just do a sump

Thoughts? Feedback? Just trying to drive conversation

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
I think you are on the right track...2 ac110's is enough for bio,rather than an extra filter that needs to be opened you may want to add a big powerhead for circulation(situated low in the tank to keep debris off of the bottom)...purigen is one option for clear water, but 1 extra w/c per week will do more for overall fish health,imo, and cover clear water...if after this you think you want to spend more money for "better" a 3rd ac110 would be my recommendation ,it will be easy to maintain (as you know)....as a final thought..if you like bigger, "better " ,and more expensive by all means add a canister (or whatever floats your boat)...but what you have now ,plus a p.h.will be plenty for a normally stocked 180 , could even add a sponge filter to the powerhead for extra bio, but I don't think it is needed. good luck, enjoy the tank.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Is a drip system or auto water changer an option?

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
I didn't address the pothos...it is a good idea , as long as you have the light to grow it, (window with(some) direct sunlight is plenty)...don't forget the w/c's though, the pothos is not a good substitute for them

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I forgot to mention that I am adding a jebao rw15 so there will be tons of flow in the tank. I will just need to manage it because I am using black diamond blasting sand as my substrate.

I actually don't think I can fit a 3rd ac110 on my tank because I have a wood canopy that gets in the way unfortunately. I would have to modify the canopy.

The only reason I am thinking of a 3rd filter is because I don't have enough room in the 2 ac110s to add carbon, porthos, and septic bacteria. That and there is no UV sterilization. I was thinking of getting one of those UV HOB that are small, slow flow and then I can use that for carbon and other stuff (non-bio/mechanical).

You can never get rid of water changes, I am just looking for ways to keep nitrates as close to 0 without doing constant water changes, drip system, etc plus making this easy to maintain. :)

Reactions: stuckon

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
Carbon is not needed , imo......that will give you some extra room , if you omit that.....but you seem to have everything else pretty much covered

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store