orange crawfish??

ruckaisawesome

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
louisville
so i went to the lfs today and saw a crawfish thats bright orange. It's being sold for $20 and im thinking of buying it. i heard of blue, red, white, and even black crawfish... but this is the first time i seen one thats orange.im thinking of putting him in my cherry shrimp tank. Anyone knows any info bout them?? anything helps...:confused::confused:

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
is it a dwarf cray? Cambarellus patzcuarensis "sp orange" stay under an 1.5" andd are appropriate tankmates for shrimp. $20 is a fair price.

pat3612

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2008
Barrie Ontario Canada
Do not put him in with your shrimp you will have none left crays will eat anything they can get their claws on.

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
that is true of most species, but cambarellus do fine. They are a dwarf species and peaceful.

Dark Jester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2010
Could also be Cherax holthuisi (AKA Apricot Lobster). If it's the Cherax, I wouldn't mix it with shrimp. The Cambarellus should be fine with them though as long as he stays well fed.

Dark Jester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2010
If it's 4" then it's probably the Cherax and I wouldn't mix with shrimp. That's about full grown too.

Not sure a 5 Gal is big enough. They like having room to run around and explore. The smaller the tank, the more time it will spend trying to break out of it. I'd go for a 10g at least.

You could try tossing a couple shrimp in there with it too, but do it with the expectation that they might get eaten. Never know though. Each cray has it's own personality and it might ignore them as long as it's not starving.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
ruckaisawesome;4530453; said:
im not sure wat type it is, all i know is it's orange and about 4 inches so i doubt it's a dwarf... they look freaken cool though
Is it at Pets Palace? If it is then it's probably a Cherax holthuisi, I've seen them there before. Assuming that's what it is, it will need at least a 20 gallon long tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store