Orange head tapajos breeding issues

outsider1911

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2016
CANADA
So my orange/red head tapajos keep trying to breed in my 125g south american community tank. They cannot protect them, although they sure do try lol. Today they started to breed, and my electric blue acara would always fight his way in and eat the eggs. So i am wondering will they get better at protecting the eggs, or if i should move them to their own separate tank? If they did get their own tank would they still be a pair or would it take a long time for them to ignite the old flame?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
A long time for orange heads is about an hour lol... If you want fry your best bet is to move them or pull the eggs and put in a tumbler.

outsider1911

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2016
CANADA
so once a pair is made they will remain together as a breeding pair? and moving them to be in their own tank just the two of them wont ruin that?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Honestly it depends on the fish. I have a breeding group right now. x2 male and x3 female. They are better as a group. I have had some that bred better as pairs. Some males are too rough on females to be one on one. It comes down to the group, your tank, tank mates and water chemistry. Try not to overthink it with orange heads. They will do what they want. If you want fry it's back to my initial post. Move or strip the eggs right after a spawn.

outsider1911

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2016
CANADA
they have never guarded the eggs long enough to pull the eggs. usually mid spawn either the hoplarchus or electric blue acara fight their way in. they would lay a row of eggs get fertilized and then instantly the eba would eat them, over and over for a frustrating yet entertaining hour. i will take more recent pictures of them in the morning.

20160505_122912.jpg

Reactions: JK47

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Beautiful pair man. Those are stunning. At that size you should have no issues moving them as single pair for now. I am using the term pair here as in quantity. They do not bond in the same fashion as a traditional CA for example.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store