Ornate and Endli question

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
Since I started to power feed about 3-4 weeks ago one bichir (always been the largest, now around 7.5") has grown about an inch, the other two have grown but nowhere near an inch. They are still in the low 6" range.

I'm feeding in the morning and at night. Feeding Tilapia, Raw Shrimp, Red Worms, Hikari Carnivore Pellets, NLS Thera A, Frozen Krill and once every two weeks some Beefheart. I raised my WC's from one 50% change a week to 2-3 50% changes a week.

I ordered a 6" Ornate which should be shipping today. Hopefully he'll fit right in with the other guys.

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
I have read that the WC's tend to hide and sometimes will not eat. Should I keep this guy in a 20g for a few months to ensure he's getting enough food, or will he likely do fine in my 125g with my other bichir's, etc..

The Ornate is roughly 6", my other bichirs are 6" - 7.5".

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
That's with all bichirs pretty much. If you give them hiding spots they will hide and sometimes they'll go on feeding strikes and start eating again later regardless if it's cb or wc. I think your guys will be fine with the others since they're all about the same size

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
They'll be fine , I bump them up the from grow out to the main tank at ~ 8-10", i've kept both ornates and laps at that size mixed with 18-20" ornates and endlies without any problem. Actually I find the smaller 8-10" er's were bolder and better feeders when kept with the larger ones then when kept separately. I believe they seemed to find comfort in piling with larger bichirs.

Also my bug guys are not over fed lazy bichirs my endlies are VERY aggressive preds. They took out a whole school of 6" silver dollars and ate a 6" peacock , a 8" bala shark etc... But they show no interest in eating other bichirs. Even when the Juvies are laying in a pile of smelt the big ones eat around them.

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
My largest Endli (now 7.5") has ate two other bichirs so far. A 2.5" Delhezi and a 4" Senegalus. He's the one I'm worried about. I'm trying to keep him well fed and the Ornate is supposed to be 6", if it really is I should be ok, if it's closer to 5" I'll probably be worried.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Young endli's have been the most cannibalistic out of all of them from my experience. By the time they hit around 14" is the time they start to leave smaller bichirs alone

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
I only power fed for around 2 weeks, it was causing to much havoc on my water chemistry, even with two 50% WC's a week. Now I'm just doing a single large feeding every day. The largest Endli is getting bigger though, I measured him today and he is over 8", closer to 8.25" but it was a rough measurement.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Should be fine with daily feelings. Slow and steady can't go wrong.

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
Two of my Endli's are now growing like weeds (now ~10" and 9"). My smaller Endli is still a runt (around 7") and the Ornate (around 7.5") has started growing slower as well, but he has also done a 180 in his personality. The Ornate now constantly hides and only occasionally comes out to eat. He used to stay out in the open constantly and eat like a pig.

Since the larger two bichirs are to large for the sinking carnivore pellets I introduced Massivore pellets last week. They devour them. I'd say the 10" one usually eats 6-7 before I quit feeding them, I'm sure he would take more if I kept feeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store