Oscar baby fight

JaxsBr

Candiru
MFK Member
May 19, 2009
South Africa
Hi guys.
I bought two 2.5inc oscars.albino and tiger.

They started lip locking and fighting every now and then through out the day.
They are in a 55gal at the moment.

My question is: Does this early lip locking and fighting mean that they are possibly both male?Is fighting normal for baby oscars, between males and females?

thanx.

Zeester

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2007
Las vegas
Mine dont lip lock at all. They flare at each other once in a while but are pretty much always together.

I also have an albino and regular tiger. I started with 3 and one didnt make it so I think I may have a pair in the future. theyre about 8 inches now and have grown them out since tiny babies.

Ben.Sheppard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2010
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
I bought two 2.5inc oscars.albino and tiger.

They started lip locking and fighting every now and then through out the day.
They are in a 55gal at the moment.

My question is: Does this early lip locking and fighting mean that they are possibly both male?Is fighting normal for baby oscars, between males and females?

thanx.
From my personal experience:

I started with one larger Oscar then added a two more Oscars (which weren't too much smaller in size) I noticed one Oscar would sit back and the other two would lip lock and get very violent, I would hesitate a guess that you either have two females or two males, obviously fighting for dominance.

Long story short I now have what I believe a pair (a tiger and albino bother near 10") and another Oscar (seemingly happy on his own) in separate tanks, you may find they will fight till one dies or they may work out their differences.

All that is my opinion and thoughts based on my experience so I could be drastically wrong though!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store