Oscar Cichlid Diseases:

CichlidScotty

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2009
Saskatchewan, Canada
at the start of 2015 my buddy had a bubble eye when I picked him up at Petland, then it healed over time, but now its worse then ever before and now he's definitely blind in the one eye...he doesn't fight with my cigar shark or clown knifefish and I've never seen him this bad before. Lately he's been laying at the bottom of the aquarium or else along the driftwood. I'm guessing it's a format of Pop-Eye disease but I'm not 100% certain

When I need advice I will always come to this site

CichlidScotty

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2009
Saskatchewan, Canada
180gallon (6ft x 18" x 32.5") PH is still good for 9yrs, Nitrite = 0, Ammonia = 0 & Nitrate = 40ppm, cycled by 600+ GPH filtration and yes only the eye shows the disease

this site won't let me post a pic, hasn't for awhile....

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
make a photo bucket account and can post pics from there, 40ppm a little high for ntrates. prefer 20ppm or less. but it would not cause your issue. what meds have you tried?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
for photo bucket ya, but its free, and then copy and past the bottom url here on the right hand boxes when the Pic is open. you right click the box and it flashes copied. then just past in your next post.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I had this problem with a Cuban. It kept coming back every once in a while . Erythromycin worked like a charm. However I did not treat the whole tank because this medication is quite expensive. I used a large tote with some tank water and threw a air stone in and didn't feed until the treatment was over. I made sure to change a little bit of the water everyday . Also I added salt. Could be different with your Oscar though. You can always try posting on the disease and health issues area . There are quite helpful people there . :)

thiswasgone

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
If your Oscar is the only fish showing symptoms and you want to speed up the healing process I would place him/her in a hospital tank and give it medication there. I would suggest using kanamycin or Maracyn-Two to treat it if you strongly believe it is popeyes.

Alternatively you can do massive water changes (40-60%) every few days and add some epsom salt (1-3 teaspoon per gallon) after placing him/her in the hospital tank. You can do it in your main tank as well, but it will be easier on your wallet if you place the oscar in a hospital tank.

What is the staple diet of your fish as that may be a contributing factor to this issue as well.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I've just treated a giant danio successfully with tetracycline if that's easily available to you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store