Oscar Experts: I Need Your Brains

Oscar_Dad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2021
I have a big old beast of an Oscar who's about 3 years old and has lived his entire life in a 220. We just lost his companion Oscar/main squeeze and he seems bored without another Oscar. The full grown sailfin pays no attention to him - and since he figured out he can't bully the sailfin, he doesn't really interact with it at all anymore.

I want to get him a buddy - but you all know how hard it is to find a healthy full-grown Oscar or other fish that can hang with their personalities. As Oscars go, he's pretty chill - but he is an Oscar so he can be edgy at times.

So rather than waiting forever and a day to find the perfect full-grown companion, I had a thought. I have an old 20g high that I'm not using. My question is... what if I got a baby Oscar and raised it in the 20 for 6 months?

1) Would 6 months be enough grow time to then move the newbie into the 220 and give it a chance to not get beat up? At that point, it should be 5-6"
2) Would a 20 gallon be enough for 6 months growth? It wouldn't stunt or slow a baby/adolescent Oscar's growth for just a 6 month temporary stay, would it?

Would love to hear from anyone who has had experience with this issue. Thanks much!

Oscar_Dad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2021
Also -

If not an Oscar, do you have any advice for a different type of large companion (and how to find a non-baby version) the might work?

Reactions: tlindsey

Oscar_Dad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2021
Yeah - I'm open to that, too. If I could find a few adult Silver Dollars that'd be cool. Terror? Dempsey?

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
This is anecdotal and take it as that.
There was a guy here that was adding2 oscars of differing sizes together. the smaller one not being small enough to eat but could be bullied seriously.
He treated much the same as a tank for aggressive cichlid breeding.
Put a divider in the tank - 2/3 for big one, 1/3 for small one.
After a few weeks of that, he cut holes too small for the large oscar to pass through but the small one could come and go at will.
After a while they were together often and no chasing besides a normal oscar bump here and there he removed the divider and created decor that gave the little one a spot to dart to in case of emergency.
They lived happily together for after that until both were full size.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Oscar_Dad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2021
This is anecdotal and take it as that.
There was a guy here that was adding2 oscars of differing sizes together. the smaller one not being small enough to eat but could be bullied seriously.
He treated much the same as a tank for aggressive cichlid breeding.
Put a divider in the tank - 2/3 for big one, 1/3 for small one.
After a few weeks of that, he cut holes too small for the large oscar to pass through but the small one could come and go at will.
After a while they were together often and no chasing besides a normal oscar bump here and there he removed the divider and created decor that gave the little one a spot to dart to in case of emergency.
They lived happily together for after that until both were full size.
I don’t hate that idea at all! Thanks. I’ll have to think about what kind of divider I could make that wouldn’t be easily demolished by the big lug - and at the same time I could cut a hole in.

A good suggestion worth thinking about. Thanks again!

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Some people use egg crate with suction cups to hold it upright in place. Easy to adjust hole size, add a hole and doesn't impede flow or filtration efficiency.

You could use an acrylic sheet laid at an angle forming a triangle with the side of tank.

Pvc pipes cut to for snugly with gardening plastic mesh would work as well. Just need center pipes to support around holes .

Get creative. Hell use lego if you have a kid with enough laying around. Lol

Oscar_Dad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2021
Good stuff everyone. Thanks for the suggestions. My plan changed on a dime though when I ran across a healthy adul Synodontis acanthomias almost a week ago. Knowing that you never know who an Oscar might choose to bully or tolerate I rolled the dice and grabbed him.

So far all good. The Synodontis seems to like being close to the Gibby - and is curious about the Oscar who so far hasn't shown a lick of aggression to the newbie.

I have a ton of wood, so there are a bunch of hiding paces should it come to that.

It's early, but so far I'm super happy with this arrangement.

Thanks again all for the ideas!

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store