Oscar in 55 gallon

littlewolfpaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2010
Wi
Iv read that one oscar can fit in a fifty five gallon comfortably with now others, is this true? Also Im buying this tank and it comes with two larger gold fish, how will a small oscar react to them? My oscar is very small still, maybe five inches or so. I think the gold fish are the same size. I think the gold fish are gunna go in a different tank or to the pet store lol

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Goldfish produce more waste than Oscars, so, yes, they should go.

You'll have quite a busy time trying to make that 55g work in the long run. Really, 75g is a better size for one Oscar. You'll still be doing at least 50% w/c every week, but that's considered pretty normal. In the 55g, you'll be doing water changes more often than that.

There are some very Oscary fish that don't get as massive. Like a Green Sunfish. One Green Sunfish would be fine in a 55g for life, and they are incredibly responsive, clowny and beg for food.

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
A green sunfish? They're cool looking, but from what I've read they can get as big as an oscar. 12 inches. They might not grow as fast.

As long as it's a small oscar that's still growing, it will do fine in a 55, but I would get rid of the gold fish eventually. Not all oscars reach 12 inches or have to. Nothing wrong with a bigger tank, but people have been keeping oscars in 55s for years and they've done so successfully.

I have a 10 inch polleni who has been quite comfortable in a 55 for a few years now.

CornBread

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
memphis, tn
The gold fish will do fine and he should do ok in the tank just keep up the maintence.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
The gold fish will do fine and he should do ok in the tank just keep up the maintence.
Hey, I have an idea. How about you know what you are talking about before giving someone suicidal advice? Two common goldfish have already maxed out that tank. The recommended tank size for just ONE common/comet type goldfish is POND. An in 200g or more. If you need proof, just test the nitrates in that water.

And Green Sunfish rarely exceed 8", and tolerate bad water oddly well. Not that any fish should ever be kept in bad water (the way goldfish almost always are), but just imagine how well a hardy fish will do if kept in optimal conditions.

JTRG05

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2009
Northwest Ohio
I don't know about a single common needing a pond, but the goldfish are pretty rough on water quality, and that will eventually lead to Hole In The Head, HITH with the Oscar, and other health problems including reduced immunity. You can fit the Oscar in the 55, but you are going to have to do a lot of work, the amount that noone really wants to sign on for, a 75 would be a better option.

The green sunfish would also be a better option than the Oscar, and if you like the looks of it, I would look into getting one!

littlewolfpaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2010
Wi
I think im just going to stick with the fifty gallon even though its going to be more work, I know Im just not going to find a better deal on a tank and my oscar is growing like a weed!! Im going to keep the gold fish in a different tank and try to get rid of them as fast as possible.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I agree with the point that a 75 gal is a more suitable sized tank for an Oscar than a 55...

While it's true that Oscars will commonly grow to 12", which is the same depth (fron to back) as a 55 gal... fish do bend which makes turning around pretty darn easy for them...

If you clean the filters regularly and avoid overfeeding... I see no reason to believe that more than 50% weekly water changes would be needed to keep nitrates well in check in a 55 gal stocked with a single 12" Oscar...

I don't know much about Sunfish so I pluged it into google and the Wiki page came up for it on the top of the list. Wiki stated that the largest on record is 12". I don't think we should expect our fish to be record breakers, but it seems like 8~10" isn't unrealistic.

I think the suggestions and opinions shared thus far offer a fair range of perspectives on the topic. It's just a shame when one person feels the need to be a jerk to anyone who has an opinion that differs from his... but the world is full of jerks so naturally this place would be too...

oscarcrazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2008
Houston, TX/Juneau, AK
You can do a single oscar in a 55. It is not ideal and needs a lot of work. You won't be able to have any other tankmates in there when the fish is larger. If you are serious about an oscar go for a 75 or look at a smaller fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store