oscar nitrate production

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
ive done a load of calculations on the effects of water changes on nitrate, done a whole thread on this, i was using an oscar in 100g of water as an example, no one seemed to know how much an adult oscar (being fed an average amount of pellets) would make in a 100g tank with good maintenance?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Well, there is ton of folks careless about water parameters, they will just do their usual schedule maintenance and if the fish act normally then they are happy :)
For me I'm only test my water once its first setup then the test kit will find it way to the trash can lol
I do my water change base on my feeding habit, feed more = do more WC.
I'm abuse the use of plants and pothos for Nitrate reduction and overkill filtration, at some points Nitrate won't register on any test kit (very little Nitrate to worry or concern about it).
So if you need an experiment then you best setup your own tank and record all the daily data, the information others giving you would be massive and unreliable source for experiment.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
There would be just too many variables, too much work, to only wind up with numbers that MIGHT be somewhat accurate for that one specific instance imho.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
i find it hard to believe that it would be that different, if you feed all it will eat once a day and net out un eaten food ect... its not going to vary that much, all im asking is a rough estimate?

how much water should be changed on a 100g with a 12 inch oscar once a week?

i wont go into the maths side of my other post but it ended like this;

25% water change = a settled nitrate level of 3.75 x your weekly produced nitrate for ever if you only do 25%
50% = 2x
75%= 1.35x

what bugs me is i see many many sites saying a 55g tank for 1 oscar and a minimum of 25% per week wc???

unless a 12 inch oscar creates 5ppm per week in a 55g your nitrates are still gonna be ridiculously high lol...

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
same yuki lol, except our water comes outta the tap at 40ppm! everyone seems to have an opinion on how much water you need to change but no one knows a rough estimate on fishs nitrate production.... obv lower nitrate is better but are we over killing, do you really need to do your 80% change on a 100g with an oscar in it?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
think i need a 100g and an accurate test kit lol.... no one actually has any clue do they!?

what about people who have wet pets? theres loads on here, fh guys maybe?

anyone care to post there own results fish type, fish size, aquarium size and obv water change schedule 'n' results before and after wc?

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
I read somewhere something along the lines of: if fish are fed 3% of their body weight, 40% of the food is utilized, 60% is returned to waste, and ends up as pollution, ultimately as nitrates, and so on and do forth.
As mentioned above too many variables in a home aquarium. Just do WC until your nitrate level is where you want, and dont sweat the small stuff.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
cichlids will only eat until they are full, this should be a pretty basic question in my opinion, personally im not bothered about my own tanks ive been maintaining them all my adult life.

most of us use bio gold or nls as a staple, your not going to get two oscars kept in the same way fed the same food that have massively different results imo? im not asking to within 1ppm, just a rough amount?

maybe i need to start another thread titled 'post your wet pets nitrate results' or something, could be some really interesting results.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Well, there is ton of folks careless about water parameters, they will just do their usual schedule maintenance and if the fish act normally then they are happy :)
For me I'm only test my water once its first setup then the test kit will find it way to the trash can lol
I do my water change base on my feeding habit, feed more = do more WC.
I'm abuse the use of plants and pothos for Nitrate reduction and overkill filtration, at some points Nitrate won't register on any test kit (very little Nitrate to worry or concern about it).
So if you need an experiment then you best setup your own tank and record all the daily data, the information others giving you would be massive and unreliable source for experiment.
Ill have too are with Yuki on this one.. It just seems more logical to me that there are other variables in play that we arent thinking about. For instance I know nitrate pollution in the water is dilution so your math is correct as you clearly assume that the oscar is creating 20ppm per week but what about organic material in the filter and hidden around the tank?

On paper if you have 100ppm of nitrate and do a 50% water change you will be left with 100% volume of the tank but with 50ppm of nitrate. But when you turn on the filter and let the tank water have contact with the organics in the filter it raises the nitrate levels within hours. The higher level the nitrates the slower organics will dilutes and pollute the water. For an example you can only dissolve so much salt into water at lets say room temperature and disolve more salt in 100F water.

Just some of my thoughts but the math part of what you state in your post you are correct. Its just that my fish make a mess while eating crushing pellets through their gills having pieces quickly get sucked up into the filter. I have to do 90% water changes with a gravel vac and rinse out the foam from my 110's weekly or nitrates climb above 40.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store