Oscar swimming erratically

Cullonjc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2021
My Oscar randomly starts swimming around as fast as he can in the middle of the night, enough to make enough noise to wake me up from my sleep, it last about ~30 seconds or so, is this normal behavior for oscars? He’s done it about 3-4 times in the past couple of months

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Just check your water parameters and make sure everything is good. Oscar fish are known for throwing tantrums every now and then, so as long as your Oscar is healthy and the water parameters are fine, I wouldn't worry.

Cullonjc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2021
Just check your water parameters and make sure everything is good. Oscar fish are known for throwing tantrums every now and then, so as long as your Oscar is healthy and the water parameters are fine, I wouldn't worry.
I’ll have to check it once I get home, thank you!

Cullonjc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2021
Maybe he saw a flying insect.

What other fish are in the tank?
He’s the only one in the tank, and possibly but he still keeps swimming like crazy even when I turn my lights on, it’s not until I walk up to the tank that he stops

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
He’s the only one in the tank, and possibly but he still keeps swimming like crazy even when I turn my lights on, it’s not until I walk up to the tank that he stops
Maybe check to see if there is voltage leakage from one of the equipment by using a voltmeter probe in the water. There's quite a few online videos showing how to do this for an aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store