Oscar tank help

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I agree with Dan.The tank is on the small side for one Oscar, let alone two.
I used to keep a lot of oscars years ago and my experience is, if two fish suddenly don't get along the aggressor can turn and kill the under dog, especially if tank size is limited.
I agree with pops to a certain extent,they are not ruthless killers like some c/a cichlids,but they can turn and they can kill.
I also think you would be better off with a slightly smaller species.As Dan said,they can grow 14 inches plus and have been recorded at around 17 inches.
I think a lot of the ones that only make 12 inches have grown up in nitrates and with inadequate room for exercise and proper growth.
I think it's only fair to give oscars a 6x2 minimum foot print.They are big, active, intelligent fish that need stimulation and space.

Reactions: Mike_G

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
You can keep one or swiTch your option, I'll throw one out there perhaps a nice breeding pair of fish that max out at 6-7" a nice aquascape, your bottom dweller and a school of dithers. Make a nice tank for you to enjoy

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
past page and a half, sorry, but OK , LOL.

Reactions: Jag586

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
My go to fish would be cryptoheros saljica, very outgoing, colourful. Mature males are just stunning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store