Oscar trouble

JaxsBr

Candiru
MFK Member
May 19, 2009
South Africa
hi everyone.
Let me start by saying i love fish of all sorts but my favourite by far is the oscar.I have done lots of reaserch and i know the minimum requirements for the fish.So please dont flame me as i need advise an know my mistake

I have been saving to build my very fist tank which would house a few oscars.I need some more money but im almost ready.A month ago,I had a cycled 25gal tank and decided to go ahead and buy 4 4inch oscars as i was certain i could rehouse them in a months time.
The tank has two large sponge filters and a hang on back ac30.i do 2 50%water changes a week.

All went well the first week,they ate and looked good.I had to go away for 2weeks to visit family so my dad fed them.He did 2 50% water changes in the 2 weeks i was gone.when i came back the tank was realy filthy and 3 of the o's grew huge while the one shrunk

After a massive cleaning all was going good except the small fish.He was being outcompeted to the food and got none and was bulied a bit.I moved him into a cycled 15gal to try and feed him back to size he didint eat for a week,and was looking bad.I took him to my lfs.

Now the 3 i have leaft were doing fine until one started looking less intrested in food.He is currently the smallest but only by a little.Im worried he is gonna stop eating as he is alread having a hard time getting food with the other greedy o's.

I know my tank is way to small and i will only be able to upgrade in two weeks from now.Please dont flame me as i know i should have waited for the bigger tank before buying them.

What should i do with the non eating fish?
Oh im upgrading to a 160gal.

JaxsBr

Candiru
MFK Member
May 19, 2009
South Africa
also guys.
would you recomend 1oscar or a group like 3 or 4 in my furture setup?

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
As per this confessional, I'd recommend one and only one Oscar. The typical suggested stocking levels for Oscars are as follows: One alone in about 75-90gal, an already-established breeding pair in about 120gal, or six in about 500gal. Trying three, four or five is rarely met with success. I only have one and he is doing well alone.

Good luck with the upgrade and, well, now you've learned what not to do. It's in the books though. No need to drag the fish along with you into your learning.

Anyway: understock, overclean, and most of all - enjoy your fish! :)

BODYDUB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2009
Killeen
The other two oscars are probably bonding/pairing up together and leaving the third one out. It may get worse or better as the get older and reach sexual maturity..........

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store