Oscar with Pictus catfish

arlo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2006
Rowland Heights
Can it be done? Has it been done? What would be the ideal water parameters and set up? Does anyone have additional resources that would help me set up a amazonian based 55 gallon tank? 55 gallon is probably too small for an adult oscar but I plan to raise them together and see if it can be done. I also might go with mollies because I do not want to make mistakes that'll cost fish lives. Was thinking malawi cichlids but just thinking oscars with pictus would look pretty dope.

this is a link to part 1 of a documentary about cichlids. pretty cool.

arlo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2006
Rowland Heights
by them i mean the pictus catfish and oscar. even if i bought a large oscar fish the small pictus' spines would prevent consumption by the larger oscar rah? this is my guess what are your thoughts people on mfk?

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
While I agree that a 55 is too small, I think pictus would work fine with an oscar if you raise them together the oscar will just grow to ignore the catfish. Unless of course you just happen to get one of the rare crazy phyco Oscars that are out there. So individual fish personality may vary.

But I've had success mixing very large oscars with significantly smaller fish. I keep enough hiding spots where the oscar just can't catch the smaller fish and eventually my oscars just ignore them.

That's just my personal experience, others may have a different opinion. Also worth noting this is in a 6x2x2 tank. Not a 55 gallon.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Kayzee

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
Whatever you do don't try and net the Pictus!! I made a rookie mistake when i had one and got a nice prick to my finger.

Reactions: Frank Castle

jonclark96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Frederick MD
It could work in the right sized tank, but a 55 is too small. A six foot tank would be a much better option.

If you get pictus cats, get a group. In my experience, they pick on each other if there are only 2 or 3. Go for 6 or more.

DBLN8

Dovii
MFK Member
It maybe could work in a bigger tank, IMO a 55 is not big enough for an adult Oscar...that been said I would always worry about the O having a go at it and choking or getting badly hurt. Personally I wouldn't try it.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I think a large Oscar may try to eat a pictus,which could be fatal to the Oscar if those spines got lodged.
But to be honest a 55 is way too small for an adult Oscar.
It maybe could work in a bigger tank, IMO a 55 is not big enough for an adult Oscar...that been said I would always worry about the O having a go at it and choking or getting badly hurt. Personally I wouldn't try it.
The Oscar will likely try to eat the Pictus and they will both die......Oscars eat what fit in their mouths, and they also eat what DOESN'T fit in their mouths, so I agree w/ the above posts.
Whatever you do don't try and net the Pictus!! I made a rookie mistake when i had one and got a nice prick to my finger.
They get caught in the net too......there are a lot of catfish I always capture by hand when moving them, Pimelodus are 1 of them, as well as Raphaels, and a few others. Holding them in an open palm over a container of tankwater is the safest way.....it's the CATCHING them by hand that's the hard part, at least for Pimelodus species

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Had 1 oscar in with a group of 5 pictus for 7 years in a 120 gal tank, had no problem with that set up. Get larger pictus and a smaller oscar to start with. Only feed the oscar quality floating pellets as a staple and insects as a treat.

Reactions: Covetous

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I think the trouble here is tank size.
In a larger volume of water chances are the Oscar won't bother the pictus.In the confines of a 55 I think an Oscar would be tempted.
Size and age of both fish when introduced will certainly have an impact on the outcome.
I risked keeping rivulatus with Brochis splendens in my 7x2x2, there is no way in the world I would of risked it in a 55.
If i pass a chocolate cake in a shop window, I can resist,put it under my nose,it's gone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store