Oscar with Pictus catfish

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
I think the trouble here is tank size.
In a larger volume of water chances are the Oscar won't bother the pictus.In the confines of a 55 I think an Oscar would be tempted.
Size and age of both fish when introduced will certainly have an impact on the outcome.
I risked keeping rivulatus with Brochis splendens in my 7x2x2, there is no way in the world I would of risked it in a 55.
If i pass a chocolate cake in a shop window, I can resist,put it under my nose,it's gone.
Agree tank size plays a major part.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I think the trouble here is tank size.
In a larger volume of water chances are the Oscar won't bother the pictus.In the confines of a 55 I think an Oscar would be tempted.
Size and age of both fish when introduced will certainly have an impact on the outcome.
I risked keeping rivulatus with Brochis splendens in my 7x2x2, there is no way in the world I would of risked it in a 55.
If i pass a chocolate cake in a shop window, I can resist,put it under my nose,it's gone.
lol any one of your big Rivs coulda swallowed them....I have a group of Emeralds, but I wont keep anything w/ them that has a big mouth. U got lucky lol

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
lol any one of your big Rivs coulda swallowed them....I have a group of Emeralds, but I wont keep anything w/ them that has a big mouth. U got lucky lol
I added the Brochis fully grown at 3 inches and the rivulatus as 50 mm juvies. I think that helps as the cichlids grow up not regarding them as food.

Reactions: Frank Castle

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
My Oscar and Pictus have been tankmates together in my 150 gallon for years. They don't bother each other at all. The pictus was there before the Oscar so not sure if that is a factor. My Oscar is about 13" and the pictus is 6".
IMG_20161024_212652.jpg IMG_20161024_212448.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store