Oscars for the 125

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
In a 125

In a 125 with silver dollars? Sounds like a recipe for disaster and hith with a little claustrophobia thrown in.
Yes 3 silver dollars also. A little tight, thus the new tank I am getting but no diseases. Feed the fish the right stuff and make sure the water is clean along with the gravel. Fish are in excellent shape. "Disaster" is an alarmist point of view. I'll post a pic when I have time.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Yes 3 silver dollars also. A little tight, thus the new tank I am getting but no diseases. Feed the fish the right stuff and make sure the water is clean along with the gravel. Fish are in excellent shape. "Disaster" is an alarmist point of view. I'll post a pic when I have time.
Another thing to consider is tank shape rather than gallons. The tank I have is about 47"X20"X31"(water level). Less gravel than a 24" tank would have.

-603FiShHoBbIeSt-

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Throw some gravel, driftwood and live plants in there and you will have a tank like mine!! Just need some geos. If you want to go crazy add some pbass (but you would have to get another larger tank like I ended up doing). You will get a kick out of the oscars. Watching them grow up. Definitely should aquascape.
I would but since I'm only growing them up in this tank for a short while I don't want to invest a lot of time into aquascaping it, also I've heard they can be quite destructive and enjoy lots of open swimming area. At the most I will probably add a small piece of drift wood and put a pothos plant in the tank or in the HOB for help removing nitrates. My 125 Gallon tank that they will be going in is aquascaped with sand/ gravel mix, rocks and drift wood and I have some red head tapajos in my 125, thanks for the idea tho! just want to keep this tank grow out tank simple since they most likely won't be in it long.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Another thing to consider is tank shape rather than gallons. The tank I have is about 47"X20"X31"(water level). Less gravel than a 24" tank would have.
The recommendation of 4 Oscars plus other fish in a tank that size is not a good recommendation. 4 keyhole cichlids would be a good recommendation for at tank the size of the OP's.
Am I the only one here that sees this?
Why do people have to cram these big, active, intelligent fish into these size tanks?
Even if you keep the fish fin perfect and disease free, is this really good practice?
So many modest sized fish In the hobby to choose from, let's put 4, 12+inch fish in a four foot tank. Sorry, but seems unfair and unnecessary to me. I don't think a solo oscar can be happy in a four foot tank.
Each to their own though.
I also believe silver dollars should be in much bigger groups to feel comfortable and in a tank of minimum, 6+feet.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Actually it's from an experienced keeper's longterm point of view.
Ok. I can see I am getting gang tackled. Which was not unexpected....
I will purchase disaster insurance.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Ok. I can see I am getting gang tackled. Which was not unexpected....
I will purchase disaster insurance.
No one gets gang tackled for good advice.
Telling someone to buy a 4th oscar for a 125 that already has other fish in it, is not good advice.
I would forget the disaster insurance and get some empathy for fish instead.

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Telling someone to buy a 4th oscar for a 125 that already has other fish in it, is not good advice.
Also keep in mind that the op has the 3 Os in a 20 gallon at the moment and being advised to grow them out there first!

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

-603FiShHoBbIeSt-

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
The recommendation of 4 Oscars plus other fish in a tank that size is not a good recommendation. 4 keyhole cichlids would be a good recommendation for at tank the size of the OP's.
Am I the only one here that sees this?
Why do people have to cram these big, active, intelligent fish into these size tanks?
Even if you keep the fish fin perfect and disease free, is this really good practice?
So many modest sized fish In the hobby to choose from, let's put 4, 12+inch fish in a four foot tank. Sorry, but seems unfair and unnecessary to me. I don't think a solo oscar can be happy in a four foot tank.
Each to their own though.
I also believe silver dollars should be in much bigger groups to feel comfortable and in a tank of minimum, 6+feet.
There will only be 2 oscars in my 6 foot tank

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Glad I don't care what you think. Here is the nasty cruel tank.

Chamber Of Horrors.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store