Outdoor KOI Pond in Phoenix Arizona or other high temperature climates?

Chris-Chicago

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
Chicago IL USA Earth
Does anyone have experience with keeping KOI in outdoor inground pond in areas like Phoenix Arizona or other areas where day time temperatures easily go over 100 and at night may only drop to 90 (at least during summer)

Wondering what the options are for outdoor ponds in areas like that.... even evaporation is a big problem in that area .....

during the winter isn't a problem, day time highs of 70, night time lows in the 50's ..... but what do to do in the summer....

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
If your pond is in the ground, the water will stay much cooler than the outside temperature. Also having the surface of the pond covered with floating plants will prevent the pond from heating up too much. You can also add a shade cloth to cover the pond.

Chris-Chicago

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
Chicago IL USA Earth
Yes, agree and thanks. I just know that friends that I have living there with swimming pools painted white to reflect the sun and minimize heating, still reach water temperatures in the 90's. And the pools have "deep ends" about 8 feet deep. We aren't moving yet, but this is one of the problems we would have to "solve" before seriously considering the move.

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
Water lily's would be great from to much sun exposure and keep your pond clean from nitrates and algea or Any pond plant for that matter

Sent from my LG-P925 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
Oh and koi are really Hardy fish IMO in the summers here in Cali sometimes when it would be 100F and dropping to 60 or lower in the night the koi where fine

Sent from my LG-P925 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store