Over Head Filter - Flowerpot Style

Ali1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
I'm interested in this and sounds like a cost-efficient mechanism. My concern is the noise. Wouldn't there be noise from water draining back into the tank? How about the noise of water splashing against the media or the sides of the flowerpot? How are users muffling these noises?

Anyone with more pictures of their install?

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
Ali1;4286736; said:
I'm interested in this and sounds like a cost-efficient mechanism. My concern is the noise. Wouldn't there be noise from water draining back into the tank? How about the noise of water splashing against the media or the sides of the flowerpot? How are users muffling these noises?

Anyone with more pictures of their install?
I've never built one or seen one, but going by other filters I don't see why this couldn't be nearly silent. Plumb the return to the tank an inch below water level and it will be silent, aireation will occur when the water drops on the media. As far as the water entering the filter, 1st create a top to stop evaporation and that will take care of most of the noise if not all. 2nd, if the water is draining on floss or sponge it should be fairly quite, especially with a lid.

Freezekougra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I'm going to make one once I place my order for a powerhead next week. How would you test filtration capacity for this? I plan on using a 550gph pump and a 24" flower tub with filter floss for mech and mainly scrubbies for bio, single filter for a 75g.

danz

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2006
Escondido, ca
www.flowerhorncraze.com
Hey sorry cleaned out my PM box :)

This project got me hooked on OHF and got a professional unit on my overstocked 125g with a 550gph pump and was very quiet since it was all enclosed and filtered the water crystal clear.

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
danz;4293370; said:
Hey sorry cleaned out my PM box :)

This project got me hooked on OHF and got a professional unit on my overstocked 125g with a 550gph pump and was very quiet since it was all enclosed and filtered the water crystal clear.

Where the heck did you find them?????? I have looked everywhere for them. I built an 8'er for my 240 but would like to find these for my small tanks.

Freezekougra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I'm going to be building one next week :)
I'm thinking about adding some biowheels, I have 4 unused ones, doesn't seem too difficult to add them if I place them between the spray bar and the mech media. Only problem though is that it'll be difficult to sell my penguin hobs if I take all 4 biowheels

+1 to john's question about where you got that filter. would be nice to just buy one :p

David K. Bradley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
+3 to john73738's question. But if all else fails, build your own. Now where do I locate a sticky on an OHF? Any ideas on this John?

David K. Bradley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Danger_Chicken;4289919; said:
I've never built one or seen one, but going by other filters I don't see why this couldn't be nearly silent. Plumb the return to the tank an inch below water level and it will be silent, aireation will occur when the water drops on the media. As far as the water entering the filter, 1st create a top to stop evaporation and that will take care of most of the noise if not all. 2nd, if the water is draining on floss or sponge it should be fairly quite, especially with a lid.
Hey D_C:

I have a question regarding your ideas 1 & 2 about the OHF, which I feel needs examining before a DIY Build gets activated here. Please do not get me wrong, there is a lot of merit to your ideas and they are good, but I feel we need to answer a concern with the Beneficial Bacteria (BB).

Beneficial Bacteria needs natural oxygen to be able to do it's job of consuming the nitrites, turning the nitrites into nitrates, most of which the nitrates are removed with regular water changes, which in turn makes for a happy tank for it's residents and you. If a lid of some or any design is used on the OHF, it robs the BB of needed oxygen to do it's job properly and in the overall picture, doesn't make for a happy tank.
So with this in mind, we have to engineer a way to keep everything as quiet as possible and yet allow as much natural oxygen as possible to enter into the OHF, to allow the BB to do it's required job. If we rob the BB of needed natural oxygen, the system fails.

This is the delema of your ideas 1 & 2. Now once we figure how this works both ways we will be in business, but until then, we have to figure out not just the answers for asthetics to the senses, but also funtionality of the system and design, too.

So how do we figure a way to provide maximum noise reduction and evaporation, yet at the same time, how do we allow the BB to breathe and be efficient to it's maximum potential?

If we can answer these questions amongst us all, we may be onto something really good!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store