Overflowing tanks

ddink7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2013
Louisiana
After several small floods, two medium floods, and one near disaster (finished water change and walked out the door to go hang out with a friend, halfway to her house realized "Oh crap, I didn't turn the water off."), I've learned to set the timer on my phone whenever I do a water change. No matter what I'm doing, I grab my phone and set the timer, religiously. (Usually 20 min for my 180g or 15 for my 135g). It's too easy to get involved in a good book or video game or whatever and end up with a baaaaad problem.

BODYDUB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2009
Killeen
I usually sit by the tank and surf the web or craigslist when I'm filling my tank back up...........

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Had that happen once after my wife told me to move the clean laundry basket. Well I didn't move the basket because I never had a flood before. My wife had pregnancy hormones and blew her lid! i am very careful not to have a flood again. And always move everything away from the tank.

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
After about 5 floods, I've also learned to sit in front of the tank while filling. Don't do anything else. If the phone rings or family needs you, turn the water off.

I also put a direct tap off our house's water supply to fill up a 75 g (I mix decholorinator in there and then pump to the other tanks).
Without the low-flow water restrictors of a normal sink fauct, it fills up a lot faster, so it's easier to stay focused and not distracted.

Jacunaba

Candiru
MFK Member
May 23, 2012
The Land of Big Tanks
ie accidentally overflowed my tank 3 times. First couple times wasn't too bad (100 gal or less)
3rd time was about 1.5 hrs of solid flow. Was leaving for vacation and decided to do a WC before I left.
To make a story short, we left for vaca only to realize I never finished my WC. flooded living room and kitchen. As well as a bathroom and 1 bedroom. Had to rip out drywall all around house.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
After overflowing tanks many times, I put a horse trough stop/fill valve on the sumps.
It's not totally fool proof, but can buy a little time, and beside stopping water flow, it starts hissing when the tank is full. The float, is the red thing on the right, when water reaches the top, it is pushed against the outflow, turning the flow off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store