Pacu fish

Renee clqrk

Feeder Fish
Sep 7, 2017
Does anyone have any experience with large pacu living outside in a pond with about 30° weather as in the winter it gets cold here to about 30 degrees for about 6 to 8 weeks and we have never had them outside for winter as the pond is new... should we move them inside or try to heat the pond ???? Or will they survive is the my question.. the fish are about 10 years old at about 30 inches in length and pretty thick.. anyone ???

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Pacu live in water that is 86 F year round. You didn't tell us the size or depth of the pond, but any thing less than a gigantic and deep pond, will see the temperature plummet pretty quickly. Even a large and deep pond will see a big drop.

Without knowing the size of the pond, the wind speed, and whether you mean average, maximum or minimum temperature of 30, it's impossible to calculate.

My guess is they won't survive in the pond. Bring them inside.

Reactions: kno4te and tlindsey

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Bring 30" pacus, as in plural, inside. My god man, what size tanks do you have?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
30* temps will kill these fish very efficiently. The water only needs to get down to about 60* to kill these fish. You need to heat your pind or bring them inside to keep them alive.

Moved to Other Characins.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store