Paddlefish care?

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
So I am interested in keeping a paddlefish. I know that they get huge, and need lots a food and good water chemistry. I may or may not get one so I would like to know some first and knowledge. I already have a source that is willing to send a juvenile once they are in season.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
You'll need either a pond or a very, very large circular tank (round so they don't break their rostrum while swimming). And remember they can get 72" long (In the past I've seen multiple fish that size while diving so it's not uncommon for them to reach that size) so you'll want at least a 20' long tank for a 5-6' adult. Their diet consists mainly of zooplankton although I've heard of a few people getting their's to eat baby brine shrimp so it'd be a good idea to start culturing them in large quantities of possible.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Young paddlefish do take pellets without any issues and they do eat live foods such as guppies and shrimp occasionally.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
I've kept paddlefish, I had several for three years until I had to move and they didn't survive the move.

They eat floating pellets at the surface and will eat small fish, especially if the fish are in a school.

I kept mine in several containers from a 360 gallon outdoor vate to a 125 indoor aquarium.

Mine were supposed to be genetic dwarfs and over three years they never got more than about 11" long. Thier hatch mates that were not dwarfs attained a length of over 2 feet by that time.

What is your source? I'd like to have a few more to try in my 225.

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
I've kept paddlefish, I had several for three years until I had to move and they didn't survive the move.

They eat floating pellets at the surface and will eat small fish, especially if the fish are in a school.

I kept mine in several containers from a 360 gallon outdoor vate to a 125 indoor aquarium.

Mine were supposed to be genetic dwarfs and over three years they never got more than about 11" long. Thier hatch mates that were not dwarfs attained a length of over 2 feet by that time.

What is your source? I'd like to have a few more to try in my 225.
I got into contact with Osage, I'm still debating whether to buy one or not because it'll be super expensive with shipping a paperwork.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
I got into contact with Osage, I'm still debating whether to buy one or not because it'll be super expensive with shipping a paperwork.

I'm not sure if their fish are dwarfs or not, really not sure that is a thing but mine were fed as much as they could eat and they didn't grow...

Duckman77

Piranha
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Aurora, IL
Buyer beware. .I ordered a "show fish" bowfin from Osage catfishfisheries in the spring. I paid show fish prices and a good chunk of money for shipping (because they used way more water than necessary and a huge box). The fish that arrived had a split tail fin, part of its gill cover missing, and nubs for pelvic and anal fins. It looked like some beat up hatchery trout I bought years ago and definitely NOT "show" quality.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Buyer beware. .I ordered a "show fish" bowfin from Osage catfishfisheries in the spring. I paid show fish prices and a good chunk of money for shipping (because they used way more water than necessary and a huge box). The fish that arrived had a split tail fin, part of its gill cover missing, and nubs for pelvic and anal fins. It looked like some beat up hatchery trout I bought years ago and definitely NOT "show" quality.
I talked to that hatchery, they swore up and down it was "twice as expensive" to ship 1 fish vs stocking a pond, I ended my conversation with them without hearing the rest lol.

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
I'll may buy one. Thought shipping really expensive.
I'm not sure if their fish are dwarfs or not, really not sure that is a thing but mine were fed as much as they could eat and they didn't grow...
They Stated
"Only if they have the food and room to grow."
When I asked them if they can grow to full size

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store