painting the back of the glass black

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
What do you think are the pros and cons of painting the back of the glass black? I would do it to hide the plumbing.

It also seems to make the stuff in the tank stand out more.

I've heard that it can have an effect on the fish colors. I mean their actual color, not how we perceive it.

Let me know what you think. I guess I'm leaning toward doing it on my new tank, but I don't want to do it if I think it may negatively affect the appearance of my fish.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I've never done it. Most that have done it, swear by it.

My thoughts are if you are going to run lights on the tank it should be ok but if you are planning on doing natural lighting, I would think it would be bad(hard to see the fish).

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
All of my tanks have a black background, rolled on with latex acrylic hobby paint. Cheap, easy, and looks great. Fish colors pop, just choose a lighter colored substrate.

Dee eng

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2015
Cambodia
Like I said before, once you go black you don't go back! Personally I love the black BR!

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Thanks for replies.

I'm going to use a light colored sand.

I'm also going to be planting and plan to have a lot of tall plants blocking most of the back.

I was set on black, but I guess I should consider blue. But then there are a lot of different blues. Blue seems to be more popular with the reef crowd.

I'd say I'm still leaning toward black. Didn't consider Plasti Dip, but that's an interesting option. I was thinking a matte black enamel.

Reactions: Dee eng

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Another nice thing about Plasti Dip is that it could be peeled off.

What shade of blue are you all using? if I did blue it would have to be a darker blue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store