Pangio cuneovirgata - The dwarf kuhli

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
10 or so years ago, all the way up to about 2017, I had a 15 gallon community tank. It was the first tank I had kept in a little bit, and, for some time, the only. You could say it helped get me back into the hobby. Anyway, some of the first fish I kept in there were kuhli loaches. I had kept them a few times prior to this, but I was no expert on them at the time. The kuhlis I got lasted about seven years, and in that time, they only reached, like, an inch in length. A year or two after I got them, I got two more kuhlis to go alongside them, both of which considerably larger-- AT LEAST 2" larger. I also kept them for several years. Something was obviously off.. But I couldn't pinpoint it. Anyway, I believe the first kuhlis I got in that tank were a very rare species known as Pangio cuneovirgata, sold under the broad "kuhli' label. This is what they look like-- not my pics.
1639622309410.png1639622331350.png1639622345143.png
These guys are awesome-- you can buy them here-- https://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/product/pangio-cuneovirgata/
It's unlikely that they will ever exceed 1.5".

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Awesome. At only 1/2 the size of P. semicincta they'd fit into even smaller tanks (though they obviously must still be big enough).

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
10 or so years ago, all the way up to about 2017, I had a 15 gallon community tank. It was the first tank I had kept in a little bit, and, for some time, the only. You could say it helped get me back into the hobby. Anyway, some of the first fish I kept in there were kuhli loaches. I had kept them a few times prior to this, but I was no expert on them at the time. The kuhlis I got lasted about seven years, and in that time, they only reached, like, an inch in length. A year or two after I got them, I got two more kuhlis to go alongside them, both of which considerably larger-- AT LEAST 2" larger. I also kept them for several years. Something was obviously off.. But I couldn't pinpoint it. Anyway, I believe the first kuhlis I got in that tank were a very rare species known as Pangio cuneovirgata, sold under the broad "kuhli' label. This is what they look like-- not my pics.
View attachment 1481683View attachment 1481684View attachment 1481685
These guys are awesome-- you can buy them here-- https://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/product/pangio-cuneovirgata/
It's unlikely that they will ever exceed 1.5".
They almost look like the banded kuhli that I have, only difference being is that mine has full stripes going all the way to it's underbelly. I'd take a pic of it but I only ever see it when I do maintenance on the tank and that usually only lasts 5mins before it goes back into hiding. I have noticed tho that the black kuhli's I have seem to hate it for some weird reason.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store