GottaCatchEmAll

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2024
I just recently purchased a group of 6 juvenile paretroplus nourissati from my lfs. They were sold as pairs, so I believe I have 3 males and 3 females between 3 and 4 inches long. They are in a 125 gallon tank with a sand substrate, some driftwood, and a large clump of java moss. I use an aquaclear110 filter with a bag of crushed coral. In the tank currently I have a large paratilapia polleni, a school of 15 Madagascar rainbows, and 3 firemouths I acquired from my brother. (I plan on removing them eventually because I want to keep this tank as a strict Madagascar biotope) I had a large Madagascar rainbow a few years old I had to remove because he started attacking the lamena after a few days. My goal is to get a pair to form. I have read these tend to get pretty aggressive when they reach sexual maturity. I’m not sure the age of these fish but when can I expect to start seeing breeding activity? I tried to provide a lot of cover for the fish to hide and have a circulation pump that pushes 1370gph to provide exercise. I’ve been feeding blood worms as this is the only thing they seem to like. I’ve tried pellets and they eat them but not as easily or excitedly. I’ve been thinking about trying live foods, any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I’ve had them about a week now and they seem to have settled in nice. They all stay together in a close group most of the time chasing each other around. I’ve noticed some fin nipping between the lamena. Is this normal behavior or is a cause for concern? They seem to have taken a liking to the cichlid stones. There are 4 large size stones in the tank now. (I have 3 giant stones on the way!) Any advice from anyone with experience keeping/breeding this fish would be greatly appreciated. As well as any advice on my tank setup.

IMG_0427.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When I had them (back in 2012), I also started with 6 in a 6 ft tank. Once a a pair formed the pair started taking out the others.
That pair eventually spawned, but one killed the other and ate the eggs.
I think the circulation pump is a good idea. These rheophillic species may need a strong current to work against to use excess energy, and I believe me not providing enough current at the time, may have contributed to the aggression between the pair
1706531869376.png

Last edited:

GottaCatchEmAll

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2024
Thank you for your response duanes. I’ve read some of your threads and appreciate the info you have already provided to the community. I’ve tried to do research on keeping this species but can’t find much info on it. I know they are not readily available so I guess the lack of info makes sense. My plan is to remove the pair once they form. Then set them up in a tank by themselves with a divider and hopefully prevent any losses.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
When I had them (back in 2012), I also started with 6 in a 6 ft tank. Once a a pair formed the pair started taking out the others.
That pair eventually spawned, but one killed the other and ate the eggs.
I think the circulation pump is a good idea. These rheophillic species may need a strong current to work against to use excess energy, and I believe me not providing enough current at the time, may have contributed to the aggression between the pair
View attachment 1534610
The need for current is often underestimated in tanks. I don't means swirling water like a washing machine, I am talking about, planned water flow to keep the fish swimming in place or slowly up and down the length.
The fish burn good energy acting naturally and thus spend less time releasing pent up energy as aggression. Give them a reason to get out and about. Works with all sizes of fish.

Reactions: GottaCatchEmAll

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The need for current is often underestimated in tanks. I don't means swirling water like a washing machine, I am talking about, planned water flow to keep the fish swimming in place or slowly up and down the length.
The fish burn good energy acting naturally and thus spend less time releasing pent up energy as aggression. Give them a reason to get out and about. Works with all sizes of fish.
I am finding this approach in providing an even, yet strong, riverine laminar flow is needed with the Darienheros calobrensis I am currently keeping, and may be needed to suppress aggression, and keep them healthy.
IMG_1189.jpegIMG_0212.jpeg
And what may be coincidence (or not), is that these Darienheros have a very similar appearance to their Madagascan Paretropline cousins, as if environmental conditions favor a kind of environmental convergence, in these distantly related yet geographically separate species.
IMG_0208.jpeg
Below is the river in Panama where the Darienheros are collected.
IMG_6951.jpeg
Not unlike high flow rivers in S America where similar colored and shaped Geophagine rheophilles are found.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Yeah, that is exactly it. After some low level experimentation this works well with aggressive fish. My leporinus and anostomus calmed considerably when A. kept in a decent sized group and B. especially when given a proper laminar current to swim against.
The most surprising for me was the way kribensis and convicts acted in the unidirectional, high-flow water current.

Reactions: GottaCatchEmAll
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store