Patches on Gar's head. help!

alligatorgar93

Feeder Fish
Dec 4, 2015
Hi guys,

I need some advice. My gar developed these weird translucent patches on its head three months ago. It wasn't really a problem (gar still eating, active etc.) so I left it. But I think it is slowly getting worse and I am worried it will spread. Anyone seen this before?

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
what are your water parameters? meaning what is your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? any tank mates? what are you feeding him?
it looks like hes shedding slimecoat which could be caused by multiple things, so we are going to need info first.

alligatorgar93

Feeder Fish
Dec 4, 2015
Hmm I'm not sure about ammonia and nitrite readings because I don't have the test kit for that, but the pH of the water is slightly over 7.5.

He doesn't have any tank mates or any plants or decoration in tank. and I usually feed him feeder fish. not sure what breed those are, gotta check with the store. but i think its a mix of guppies and goldfish

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hmm I'm not sure about ammonia and nitrite readings because I don't have the test kit for that, but the pH of the water is slightly over 7.5.
He doesn't have any tank mates or any plants or decoration in tank. and I usually feed him feeder fish. not sure what breed those are, gotta check with the store. but i think its a mix of guppies and goldfish
right off the bat I'm saying your ammonia is may high then and that's maybe why his slimecoat is shedding.. You need to do like 15% water changes every day. get a test kit for ammo and nitrites asap. get some stress coat and maybe even add a little aquarium salt to the tank as well.
This may be some type of fungal infection from the feeders as well so if my above steps don't show any improvement be ready to get some meds to treat the fish.

Reactions: redfish1

alligatorgar93

Feeder Fish
Dec 4, 2015
What have you been feeding the gar? This looks most similar to a nutritional deficiency. Usually appears as pitting in the skull.
I feed it feeder fish once a week. What kind of nutritional deficiency? The patches are not depressions. They are almost level with the normal skin

Also, the ammonia readings are always about 0.25 mg/l. I tried water changes for a week but don't rly have any effect

photo1.jpg

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Try and get some pellets into its diet. Either through feeding the gar directly or feeding gut loading the feeders, before feeding the gar.

I would probably up the feedings as well.

As far as the ammonia readings, what filtration are you running? What size of tank? Any additional information can be helpful as well.

redfish1

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2015
Colombo
Redfish1, do you have pictures of when your arowana had infection? What medication did you use to treat it?
Sincerely I've photos,PicsArt_02-01-10.47.33.png PicsArt_02-01-10.47.33.png

Just watch his upper head...
I increased temperature up to 25°C , then cleaned water very frequently...It was really a problem to me.So I sold him for Rs.14500.(nearly 45$)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store