Patio bowl stocking ideas?

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
I’m going to be making a patio bowl shortly that will be in the ballpark of 40-60 gallons
It will be outside in the summer and in a heated garage in the winter so most likely it will stay 60-65+
It will also most likely have filtration
What would you guys recommend?
Something other than goldfish and white clouds
I was looking at paradise gourami would those work?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Reactions: Fishman Dave

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I don’t suggest rosy barbs - mine hide so much lol.

Paradise fish stay small, you could try a small species of sunfish.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have used Macropodus opecularis (the common Paradise fish) in those type outdoor enclosures and they do well. Those originating in Korea and China can easily take the temp fluctuations, they'd even breed during the summer. I would find half dozen juvies in the fall when moving the enclosure in for the winter.
Where I lived, a 4 ft deep feature would freeze solid top to bottom in WI
I wouldn't expect the more exotic Macropodus species from Borneo or southern Viet Nam or other tropical areas to handle winter though
or....some of the line bred color types may also not be as hardy, as the genes for robustness are often sacrificed when breeding only for certain select colors.
One caveat, those same colors that show beautifully from the side in a glass tank, often allow them to disappear as seen from the surface of the water.
In my outdoor enclosures if I saw a few second glimpse as they grabbed a breath of ambient air, before they'd disappear into the depths, I was lucky.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store