Payara Identification

MDM21

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 17, 2022
Hi All,

I recently purchased what was labeled as a Payara Armatus from Predatory Fins and wanted opinions if this is correct.From what I can tell from markings behind the gill plate - it is either Armatus or Redtail, but the tail shape is throwing me off. From what I understand, Armatus should have a broom shaped tail, while this one looks to be heart shaped. Any input is appreciated!9FCB2488-A658-417D-A354-1C91FFC4EFAC.jpeg

MDM21

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 17, 2022
Side note - I have also heard that the black speckling on the face is another indication of Armatus, but haven’t seen much about this online. Anyone else hear this?

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
Looks exactly like my Scomberoides. If you search in the Characins section you will find much more information and I would move this post to there. There is Payara ID thread in the sticky section

Reactions: MDM21

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
Click on forums then Other Monsterfish and theres a section called other characins with a fair bit of Payara info

Scombs are great fish by the way I have had mine a year now, its much more active than my Red Tail and eats like a machine anything I put in front of it

Reactions: MDM21

MDM21

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 17, 2022
Click on forums then Other Monsterfish and theres a section called other characins with a fair bit of Payara info

Scombs are great fish by the way I have had mine a year now, its much more active than my Red Tail and eats like a machine anything I put in front of it
Agreed! I actually currently have a scomb as well! A little over a year and a half old and eats pellets like a champ!

Reactions: Simonas

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
While mislabeled fish at PF is not outside of the realm of possibility I believe you have yourself a young armatus,it is definitely not a scomb.....feed it well and any doubts of what you have will be dashed after you notice it's rapid growth rate.Armatus are the fastest growing fish I've ever kept.

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
While mislabeled fish at PF is not outside of the realm of possibility I believe you have yourself a young armatus,it is definitely not a scomb.....feed it well and any doubts of what you have will be dashed after you notice it's rapid growth rate.Armatus are the fastest growing fish I've ever kept.
Just out of interest what makes you say definitely not a scombs? I only ask as its the spitting image of mine that I have had now for 12 months from a small size to 6"

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Just out of interest what makes you say definitely not a scombs? I only ask as its the spitting image of mine that I have had now for 12 months from a small size to 6"
Perhaps you don't have a scomb then as scombs body color are silvery grey as opposed to the gold or bronze that that fish has,also scombs hold their body at a kind of diagonal,head pointed down position and even in the young fish in the photo it has what appears to be the early growth stages of the larger,fanlike tailfin that scombs do not have.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with Krichardson
Many people believe they have one species or another, because that is what it was labeled at a LFS, when the likelihood of mislabeling at the LFS is much more common than from a specialty vender.
Most specialty venders know exactly where the fish they sell was caught, which increases the likelihood of proper ID.
A Payara caught in Panama, will not be the same species as one from the Orinoco.
In fact a fish caught in western Panama, will not be the same species or variant, as one caught in eastern Panama

The number of mislabeled Geophagines and other cichlids at LFSs I have seen is staggering..

MDM21

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 17, 2022
So further update - the tail has been developing white outline and becoming less heart shaped, seeming more like an armatus by the day. I can see growth in it already too, however, just noticed that it has caught ich from a feeder as of a few hrs ago. Treating it currently and hope to have a positive update in the future.

Reactions: Simonas
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store