Aquatank

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 30, 2017
california
aquatank134.wixsite.com
Guys I am new to peacock bass keeping and got the new juvenile about 2 weeks ago
He is corentaly on dried shrimp diet and normal cichlid pellets
Any suggestion on how to take proper care!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
You are already off to a good start with the foods you are giving your peacock bass so my advice is to keep the tank water as clean as possible with regular partial water changes and good filtration.What size tank do you have for it?
Oh,and no feeders.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yes man #NOFEEDERS
He is now housed in a 125 GAL with an Oscar pair(fire red).
Any idea from proper diet for him
Get your cichla some good quality carnivore pellets and some good regular cichlid pellets and mix them.You could probably toss in an occasional slice of raw fillet as treat.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Good.

chriswhizptrp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2017
Cichla keeping is really no different from taking care of other fish. Probably the only thing that sets them apart is the fighting lol i haven't had any other fish that beat each other around as often as cichlas do.

Aside from that, perform your regular aquarium husbandry and maintenance and you should be fine. Monitor your water parameters frequently. You're off to a good start, good job!

chriswhizptrp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2017
Hey man I don't have a water parameters kit but I do water changes 2 times a week (80%) so will there be any issue if I don't buy one kit.
You'll survive without it if you really know what you're doing, but it will be a really helpful investment in the long run, especially if you run into any problems in the near future. It will help you when troubleshooting if something goes wrong.

I highly recommend getting a test kit. :) the ones from API should give you everything you need.

chriswhizptrp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2017
Hey man I don't have a water parameters kit but I do water changes 2 times a week (80%) so will there be any issue if I don't buy one kit.
How is the 80% WC working for you?

It is my personal choice not to do any large watee changes to keep the water stable. I normally do about 20 to 30% every 2 to 3 days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store