Pellet Training Help

Sams0n

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Wanderland
Wait not sure how you go straight from stuffed shrimp. Then one day you just put in straight pellets? Seems it would look and taste different to the dats?
Key is to starve them. The stuffed shrimp was to fatten them up. How many dats do u have? It's easier to train to take pellets with more dats or use fish that readily take pellets

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MattyA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2013
Australia
I had pretty good results simply starving my peacock bass. I fattened them up on prawns stuffed with hikari cichlid gold, then eventually after the prawns become a less frequent feed they started taking the pellets as they got hungry. Now they feed freely on a pellet only diet, though I do feed prawns as a treat occasionally.

impala

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
Toronto Canada
This is what worked for me very recently with my 3.5 in IT, took a week to get him on dry food only. Soak Thera +A or Tetra Bits with the Blood Worm in a minimal amount of room temperature tank water overnight in the fridge. Have two batches going for one am and one pm feeding.

At first he will ignore the dry food but eventually start eating it with the Blood Worm. After a day or two of him eating both just give him the dry food. If he's stubborn it may take a few days. Once he eating only the dry food break up some Carnivore to add to the mix.

In my case he went for the Carnivore right away, then I switched to broken up Hikari Food Sticks and he's been eating them like a champ. I've been feeding him twice a day and he's really bulked up fast.

Hope this works for you, may or may not take longer but stick with it, imo it's only a matter of time before he's eating dry only. Good Luck !

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
What do you guys think of breaking up carnivore and mixing with the bloodworms? Then slowly adding more carnivore and less bloodworms?

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Also I have only one dat with some cichlids who readily eat pellets

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store