pelvic fins moving vertical

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
the latest motoro (marble) is still alive! i can't believe it. it is a extremely slow recovery. i have had a few bad situations with ammonia spikes in her tank one was a filter failed and so i relocated her and other was a few small increases of ammonia most likely due to stress and uneaten food. she is taking food but very little. the latest thing was yesterday i finally decided it was time she got some light in her tank so i did that and of course she did not like it at all. came home in the evening and her pelvic fins were completely vertical. i thought great she is a goner. i tested water it was fine. i thought she was on a slow road to recovery? this morning she seems fine ? i had some pups do this and thought it was possibly bad heater did a water change and the next day pups were fine. was the ray teaching her fins? something irritating her on the bottom? stray voltage? or does she just like to keep my blood pressure up? i have been working hard to keep this one going and blood worms and ghost shrimp are costing me a small fortune i hope she pulls threw. any thoughts to this behavior?

thanks
john

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
ive concluded they do like to raise your blood pressure and try to give you a heart attack.... can you post some pics of her or a vid?.... stray voltage you can feel if you put your hand in the tank and ground yourself... i think she is still just really stressed... gut load the ghost shrimps so she gets more nutrients(hikari pellets)....

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
Nic;1820185; said:
Ive concluded they do like to raise your blood pressure and try to give you a heart attack.... can you post some pics of her or a vid?.... stray voltage you can feel if you put your hand in the tank and ground yourself... i think she is still just really stressed... gut load the ghost shrimps so she gets more nutrients(hikari pellets)....
hey nic i thought of taking a picture last night but i didn't when i first saw her do this i thought she was in stages of death curl until i tested the water and it was fine.

skynoch you might be right about ammonia burn i have had rays that have slightly lifted there pelvic fins and found traces of ammonia in the tank. she had hers literally turned and not lifted up.

skynoch

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
john C;1821118; said:
hey nic i thought of taking a picture last night but i didn't when i first saw her do this i thought she was in stages of death curl until i tested the water and it was fine.

skynoch you might be right about ammonia burn i have had rays that have slightly lifted there pelvic fins and found traces of ammonia in the tank. she had hers literally turned and not lifted up.
I've just went through an ammonia situation ( left in bag to long after shipping...my bad not shippers) with one of mine and it was acting the same way as yours but you could see the burns on the bottom

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
get us some pix i agree with skynoch i didnt even think of ammonia burns kinda skipped by that in the original read of the post ... keep the water pristine and add some salt to help her slime coat recover.... good luck john...

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
well a little update she was doing it again she had her pelvic fins raised again water is good today. i think it must be ammonia burn because i was going to take a pic and now they are down again. ammonia has been fluctuating a little i have been doing water changes and prime. i will get stability tomorrow to try to get rid of this ammonia issue. it has only been reaching 0.25 ppm so not really high but still not good. one good up date just started eating earth worms.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
eating is always a good sign.... the stabillity should straighten everything out...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store