Pet Shanty in NJ closed permamently

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sounds like how it was when Zoos here in Philly shut down.When I went by there one day,the place was all dark and shut down and there was an animal control official waiting in his vehicle in the parking lot.He went on to explain to me that the store had been closed for a few days and his office had received a few complaint calls regarding the animals that were locked in the store and he was there to investigate.That was the best fish shop in the city,it was the place where I first laid eyes on a ST(although I didn't know it at the time lol)and and an odoe pike lol.I never found out what became of the livestock there and it depressed me to see it all end like that...Hopefully the owner or someone is coming into Pet Shanty to look after the animals until they can be rehomed.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Sounds like how it was when Zoos here in Philly shut down.When I went by there one day,the place was all dark and shut down and there was an animal control official waiting in his vehicle in the parking lot.He went on to explain to me that the store had been closed for a few days and his office had received a few complaint calls regarding the animals that were locked in the store and he was there to investigate.That was the best fish shop in the city,it was the place where I first laid eyes on a ST and and an odoe pike lol.I never found out what became of the livestock there and it depressed me to see it all end like that...Hopefully the owner or someone is coming into Pet Shanty to look after the animals until they can be rehomed.
I am sure Charlie is taking care of the fish and other animals in the store.

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
Well there's a good ending for the fish that were at shanty. Stopped at shark aquarium and saw some familiar looking fish. Turns out shark aquarium picked up most/all fish livestock

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I figured that's where they would wind up since Sharks is probably the closest shop.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
It's good to hear George has the fish. I still feel bad PS is closed it was there for years, I would always stop at Jimmy Buff's for an Italian Hot Dog when I went there.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
An Italian hot dog?

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
It's good to hear George has the fish. I still feel bad PS is closed it was there for years, I would always stop at Jimmy Buff's for an Italian Hot Dog when I went there.
Sorry think Jimmy Buff's closed a year or two ago as well.

BHARDON24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2013
Nj
That's a shame, I've been going there for a while. Nice selection there, I always thought Charlie was friendly, and so was the staff.

01C5Vert

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
Jersey
I knew this was coming. He had a for sale sign out front for a long time. I asked him about it and he said that whoever buys the building would have to lease it back to him, which was ridiculous. Who in their right mind would buy expensive commercial property on Rt. 22, and lease it to a low volume pet store? How would that make any financial sense.

He swore up and down how the place was staying open and how everything was ok. I giggled as I left, he was not a good liar.

What sucks is that was one of the "real" local pet stores. The place was good and the people were always ok. Only other one near me is ocean gallery II, and they aren't that great to be honest.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store