Pet solutions Florida longnose gar

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
if you have an LFS around you I would ask if they can order gar in for you. Its much easier that way...
Not possible. I am very close with both of my lfs owners. One treats me like family because my love's brother is a truly irreplacable saltwater expert there, and I'm in there all the time. I get some pretty insane deals there. Pretty lucky set up. I helped promote the other lfs and brought him a book bag full of riverrocks when he told me he was about to scape a show tank. We've been pals since.

Even though our local distributor, sunpet, stocks both Florida and spotted, it is required that the business owner have a special permit to sell them in Georgia. One of the lfs owners filed the papers specifically because I asked if he would. That was 6+ months ago. He told me he doesn't think he'll get the permit. The other lfs owner has been around for much longer and doesn't seem to think the state is interested in giving that particular permit to anyone. The first guy got so far as the register with one spotted and one Florida when I first asked him, only to be told they are a restricted species.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Well rest assured with the knowledge that you more than likely will never received a gator gar from them haha.
True T.T
Barring some tragedy with my current order, I probably won't get another gar unless it is guaranteed to be a spotted. Next stop is datnoids, then a few Poly's I have wanted to keep for ages but could not afford until recently. Dabola, PBB, ansorgii, and koloton. That'll be where I stop until I get my ba, to which point something stupid is getting built in my house >:]

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
True T.T
Barring some tragedy with my current order, I probably won't get another gar unless it is guaranteed to be a spotted. Next stop is datnoids, then a few Poly's I have wanted to keep for ages but could not afford until recently. Dabola, PBB, ansorgii, and koloton. That'll be where I stop until I get my ba, to which point something stupid is getting built in my house >:]
bah restricted species...the headache of all fishkeepers lol.

My lfs sell them here...we have a few restricted species but only if the fish is native (floridas luckily are not haha)

I hear ya, I got these two gar and have since put the brakes on new additions until i find a few polys I really like haha.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
No kidding. I want to approach toyin about an order, but I just don't want to mess that up. I've been trying to get one of the lfs to start communicating with him: the guy I gave all the river rocks to. So far no dice--he had a pretty bad experience with an importer/breeder last year when his store had only been running for a short amount of time. It was a pretty savage beat on his end.vHe's hesitant to give it another shot and I can't really blame him. He also doubts he can find other clients who are interested in rarities, but he might be wrong there considering georgia/atlanta does not have a single dealer of rarities and/or large fish to my knowledge. Might try the other store soon enough, or contact toyin directly this spring. Anyone ever order from toyin before?

PetSolutionsLive

Feeder Fish
Oct 4, 2012
Ohio
Since we ship out our own freshwater fish from a fish room here in the building where my office is, once we get the gars back into stock again just give our 800 number a call and I'll be happy to pull one out, get a couple of quick photos of it, and email them over to you so that you can see exactly what we have on hand at that time in the gar holding aquariums. No problem at all.

I'm a long time fish keeper myself, though I haven't specialized in some of these big guys like many of you do, I have 20 to 30 years of hands on with a variety of our piscine friends. I'm always happy to help out in any way I can. Just ask for John. I'm in the office M-F 8 to 5 Eastern and our fish room door is nearby for me to get to. :D

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Right on, thanks man! I'm pretty sure that this is the first time in my life as a modern American consumer that customer service came to me instead of the other way around. Comcast needs a fish guy who shows up to resolve problems. They also need fish. Some tanks probably. Several gallons of water. Yeah.

I will definitely be back soon enough, John. Need some prime and massivore asap :p

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
No kidding. I want to approach toyin about an order, but I just don't want to mess that up. I've been trying to get one of the lfs to start communicating with him: the guy I gave all the river rocks to. So far no dice--he had a pretty bad experience with an importer/breeder last year when his store had only been running for a short amount of time. It was a pretty savage beat on his end.vHe's hesitant to give it another shot and I can't really blame him. He also doubts he can find other clients who are interested in rarities, but he might be wrong there considering georgia/atlanta does not have a single dealer of rarities and/or large fish to my knowledge. Might try the other store soon enough, or contact toyin directly this spring. Anyone ever order from toyin before?
I've ordered from rehoboth a couple times in the past, but I hear the same about being leery to sell to hobbyists anymore. A "broker" friend used to get fish from him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store