Petco

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
Tomorrow is my first day of work, and basically, they designated that I'm gonna be working register and the fish section. Hopefully from what I've learned here, I can send people away a little more knowledgeable even if it means losing some business.

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
rweedon said:
you are going to work at petco? hope you are good with dead animals...

Petco isnt really that bad, but I can't really testify to that without having some experience working there.

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
I think it depends on the specific Petco. I frequent a few in my area. one has complete crap except for food an such, one is good for your average everyday fish, an one is good for finding abnormal looking fish.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
It depends on the manager, the one here is crap for fish but great for reptiles, guess which one the manager likes.

I3u11he4d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Michigan
Petco does not hire peopl that are already knowlegdable about the animals,they try to educate them after they have been hired.The people teaching are not that knowledgable to begin with.The LFS that is the s**t in my area only hires vet students from MSU or people that are incredibly knowledgable about the section they are appling for.If you are hired for the fishh dept.then you only work the fish dept. if your hired for the reptile dept. then you only work the rep. dept and so on.They dont bounce you around,ever heard "jack of all trades,master of none"thats not B.S. its good.But congrats on the job and hopefully you can make a differance,oh yeah good luck :thumbsup:

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
I3u11he4d said:
Petco does not hire peopl that are already knowlegdable about the animals,they try to educate them after they have been hired.The people teaching are not that knowledgable to begin with.The LFS that is the s**t in my area only hires vet students from MSU or people that are incredibly knowledgable about the section they are appling for.If you are hired for the fishh dept.then you only work the fish dept. if your hired for the reptile dept. then you only work the rep. dept and so on.They dont bounce you around,ever heard "jack of all trades,master of none"thats not B.S. its good.But congrats on the job and hopefully you can make a differance,oh yeah good luck :thumbsup:

Oh man. Sadly, that's exactly what the Petco im gonna work at does. They hire people that know absolutely nothing about anything basically. When I told them I knew some about fish, they were like, "oh, thats cool, but we're gonna give everybody an opportunity to work each section, so one night you might be working with fish, another with reptiles, another register, etc.". But I think they'll stick me with just the fish or atleast its what I hope because I don't want to be that douche bag working with reptiles who knows absolutely nothing about them, and then have to go call somebody else who knows nothing about them as well. I hope to help people. That's why I'm doing it, because, lets be honest, that job pays ****.

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
alright people. first day today. Nothing to big, power went off so I didnt have to do anything for about 15 minutes. Worked register as "training". The only thing I really tried to help people with were this couple. The girl wanted to know if a betta she was buying would do fine in the same tank as an oscar and a dinosaur eel, and I told her no, but they still got it. Oh well. WOrking the fishy section tomorrow. Oh. And I bought an oscar. :D . Tiny little bugga.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store