Petrochromis red bulu point

Reincarnated

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2013
upstate ny
How many fish are you getting? Keep us updated once u get them.
Not sure i would really like a trio 1m/2f but i will be waiting until he gets a new batch. I am leaning toward a bunch more cichla at the moment though since there are some rare ones that just came available and i have some reserved so those will be first priority now but i will update when i get some of these guys in. My 336 im building will be for the 8 new bass i get(grow out tanks it the interim). Guess ill have to build another big tank now too lol. Its never ending.

swk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2009
Sonoma county
Don't waste 1500 on a trio. You will end up with one. You need to treat, and keep petros like tropheus. I wouldn't do anything less than 9 fish for a group of petros.

F1 fish are hardly "a waste of time". They are a wonderful way of getting into the hobby w/o taking out a 2nd on your house. F1 quality is the same as wild, if not better as they're accustomed to tank life. Breeding F1's are not a problem if you source your fish from a couple different breeders. Who's to say that brother and sister don't end up spawning from time to time in the wild? If you breed 2 different bloodlines of f1 fish, the resulting fry are just as "good" as wild fish IMO

Robulus153

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
Greenville SC
Yea i agree, F-1's are fine. If you had like a commercial aquarium or were doing fish studies i could understand the strict WC policy. I prefer to save money on f-1's. Now that being said all of our fish started wild caught so nothing wrong with payming more for WC.

Reincarnated

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2013
upstate ny
Don't waste 1500 on a trio. You will end up with one. You need to treat, and keep petros like tropheus. I wouldn't do anything less than 9 fish for a group of petros.

F1 fish are hardly "a waste of time". They are a wonderful way of getting into the hobby w/o taking out a 2nd on your house. F1 quality is the same as wild, if not better as they're accustomed to tank life. Breeding F1's are not a problem if you source your fish from a couple different breeders. Who's to say that brother and sister don't end up spawning from time to time in the wild? If you breed 2 different bloodlines of f1 fish, the resulting fry are just as "good" as wild fish IMO
Thats true its a good point. I assume i would end up with one because it would kill the others? Ive had a lot of africans(120+ tanks of them in the past) but mostly malawi fish and moba frontosa so not as experienced with petros and trophs so thanks for the advice there. Ive never had an issue with wc fish so until the fish is unavailable for export ill continue collecting wild. Even if they do breed occasionally brother to sister in the wild, its something avoidable in the aquarium so i avoid it. I cant afford 9 wc at the moment but summer is about here so work is easier to find. Ill have my dream wc group. :headbang2

dww4law

Feeder Fish
Jul 3, 2011
Carlsbad, California
First off i dont buy F1s and thats aweful steep for F1s too when you can get them for 60 bucks each. I buy my tanganyikans from www.Littleafricaaquatics.com I have dealt with Greg for many years and his stock is 2nd to none imo. I always, and will always, buy WC fish. I just cant bring myself to buy anything other than because its just not enough quality for me. 98% of the time i wouldnt buy F1s or anything but WC because you dont truly know lineage and cant trust a single person these days other than reputable vendors and breeders that have a history(my aquabid feedback is 100% because i breed quality stuff and wont taint it with F1 lineage). Chances are that F1 group you would be breeding brother to sister and i dont like that either. More culling goes on when you start doing that. I dont mind culling deformed fish but its a pain and not something i have tons of time to do. I know a lot of people like captive bred fish but i myself being a breeder like wild.
First off let's answer the question and get the facts straight. Petro sp. red are the rarest petros in the lake. Great risks are taken to collect them. Hence they command a very high price for WC. $400-$500 is the going price for these rare petros. $150-$175 is the going price for grown f1's. The $60 you get from Greg are f1 at 1 inch. Also, experienced petro breeders like myself recommend f1's because we know the only way to successfully keep petros is in a large group of 20 or so. This keeps aggression dispersed throughout the group. Most petro keepers (not breeders) can't afford the cost of such a large WC group.

My recommendation for most people who want such a rare petro is to buy f1's raise until you can sex them (at about 6 months). Then sale off some of the males (no problem getting the initial $60 back). Then if you want to breed, get either a WC alpha or an f1 male from an unrelated group to ensure genetic diversity.

Very few people have WC groups. I invested $10,000 in mine because I wanted to breed them. Most people cannot do this so f1's are the way to go.

rdsilverio

Feeder Fish
Jan 11, 2011
california
Hello, are you still interested in buying these? I have a few WC males about 6-7 inches that
I would like to sell. I got them from Turon from African Gold Aquatics. He also has good quality
fish. PM me if you're still interested. Thanks.

thuynh3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2011
LA, CA, 90012
I have 6 petrochromis red bulu for one year.
there are 2 males and 4 females.
I pay $200/each.
Petrochromis red bulu can get very, very expensive.

thuynh3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2011
LA, CA, 90012
I pay $575.00 for one Wild Caught Male Petrochromis Red Bulu, I have two of them.

I also pay $550.00 for one Wild Caught Female Petrochromis Red Bulu, I have five of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store