Pex Tubing

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I have it in my house. It is great, but it can be just as expensive as PVC IMO.

KaiserSousay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
PartlyCloudyFlorida
CPVC will beat PEX in any price war. Can be made to look every bit as good as a PEX install, without the need for a crimping tool.
Pipe and fittings are all local buys, and cheap.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
KaiserSousay;3426612; said:
CPVC will beat PEX in any price war. Can be made to look every bit as good as a PEX install, without the need for a crimping tool.
Pipe and fittings are all local buys, and cheap.
CPVC is terrible stuff. It is prone to coming apart at the joints and worse yet it gets extremely weak and brittle over the years. I worked for over five years as a plumber and went through a year and a half of apprenticeship before going back to college. The company I worked for did install some CPVC for a few years but quit using it due to too many failures. CPVC is cheap and easy, but PEX is a far superior product.

I only use PEX these days, it costs more, but it is worth it!

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
CPVC is used,or should be used in draining,no pressure.
You can use plastic manifolds and fittings.They will save you a lot over using brass.
http://www.pexsupply.com/Wirsbo-Upo...Manifold-3-outlets-3-4-x-3-4-ProPEX-4276000-p
That's just a quick example I found of a plastic manifold.There are many different sizes with different numbers of ports.Same goes for fittings.If they have it in brass,they also have it in plastic.

I would also buy Wirsbo over Viega. IMO Wirsbo is much better.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
fishbum;3428219; said:
CPVC is used,or should be used in draining,no pressure.
You can use plastic manifolds and fittings.They will save you a lot over using brass.
http://www.pexsupply.com/Wirsbo-Upo...Manifold-3-outlets-3-4-x-3-4-ProPEX-4276000-p
That's just a quick example I found of a plastic manifold.There are many different sizes with different numbers of ports.Same goes for fittings.If they have it in brass,they also have it in plastic.

I would also buy Wirsbo over Viega. IMO Wirsbo is much better.
Actually CPVC is never used for drainage, you're thinking of ABS or DWV PVC. It is pressure rated and is fine at first, it is over time that it weakens.

Plastic PEX fittings cost about half what brass fittings cost and do work well in situations where physical strength aren't crucial.

I'm not familiar with Viega. I like RTI because the crimping tool is relatively cheap, compact, and reliable. Wirsbo uses an expansion tool and PEX collars. It does work very well, but the expansion tool is expensive, bulky, and finicky if you don't clean and oil them regularly. Rehaus makes the most bulletproof fittings, they use an expansion tool and brass collars that you compress down over the joint with a second tool.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
Dan Feller;3428359; said:
Actually CPVC is never used for drainage, you're thinking of ABS or DWV PVC.
After 10 years in a plumbing warehouse,I know the difference.CPVC should not be used for pressure,or anything for that matter,it's crap.

Wirsbo expansion tools can be rented.Or the hand ones are cheap,reliable,and easy to use.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
fishbum;3428415; said:
After 10 years in a plumbing warehouse,I know the difference.CPVC should not be used for pressure,or anything for that matter,it's crap.

Wirsbo expansion tools can be rented.Or the hand ones are cheap,reliable,and easy to use.
I'm sorry, but you're wrong on this one, CPVC is not approved for drainage. They don't even manufacture drain fittings for CPVC. I have over 15 years installing residential plumbing and went through a year and a half of JATC apprenticeship classes.

You are right about CPVC being c**p, but not about it being used for drains.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
Dan Feller;3428447; said:
I'm sorry, but you're wrong on this one, CPVC is not approved for drainage. They don't even manufacture drain fittings for CPVC. I have over 15 years installing residential plumbing and went through a year and a half of JATC apprenticeship classes.

You are right about CPVC being c**p, but not about it being used for drains.
Anything that is approved for pressure is also approved for drainage.I suppose this could be different from state to state though.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
fishbum;3428457; said:
Anything that is approved for pressure is also approved for drainage.I suppose this could be different from state to state though.
The difference is in the fittings. ABS and DWV PVC fittings are considerably different from PVC, CPVC, or PEX fittings.

In drain fittings tees and wyes are directional, they have an "up" and "down" (except clean-out tees, which are omnidirectional). Ells come in long, medium, and short radius sweeps. There are also specialized drain fittings such as a low-heel tee and various flanges.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store