PH crash help

ZZ5150

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2010
Ohio
Hi,
I think I caught the beiginning of a crssh. I noticed that though active my ray wasn't eating the last two feedings. Checked PH and it is 6. Checked amonia and it is usually 0 but now it is .5. Cleaned the mechanical filtration and replaced fine filter floss. Will do a 30% water change also. Usually do 40 % weekly ones. Was also going to do another 30% in a day or so and monitor parameters. Should I do anything else?

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
OOOh not a ray Expert here but sounds like ya got it for sure clean fresh water is #1 in my book most important for sure .....

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
Yah you most likely had a build up of dissolved solids that crashed your ph and caused a BB die off. I would increase to twice weekly water changes 50% if possible

You may also want to consider adding some more filtration or changing your filter cleaning schedule

What is your ph from the tap?

ZZ5150

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2010
Ohio
johno27;5012327; said:
Yah you most likely had a build up of dissolved solids that crashed your ph and caused a BB die off. I would increase to twice weekly water changes 50% if possible

You may also want to consider adding some more filtration or changing your filter cleaning schedule

What is your ph from the tap?
PH from the tap ~7.5

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
I think your on the right track just try not to change too much water all at once right now to avoid stressing the ray with another ph swing

Monitor Nitrites and add salt as needed to keep them from harming the ray if they show up

Some prime couldn't hurt anything either

ZZ5150

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2010
Ohio
johno27;5012397; said:
I think your on the right track just try not to change too much water all at once right now to avoid stressing the ray with another ph swing

Monitor Nitrites and add salt as needed to keep them from harming the ray if they show up

Some prime couldn't hurt anything either
Thanks. Had added Prime and NovAqua.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
i would do 25 to 50% waterchanges every day to get ur ph back up. doing this it will still prob take at least a week to get it back up to your tap level.

u need to monitor your gh, kh and nitrates to determine the length of time between your waterchanges

ZZ5150

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2010
Ohio
vamptrev;5012476; said:
i would do 25 to 50% waterchanges every day to get ur ph back up. doing this it will still prob take at least a week to get it back up to your tap level.

u need to monitor your gh, kh and nitrates to determine the length of time between your waterchanges

Thanks. I've checked nitrates usually around 40. Haven't checked gh or kh but will get at test kit for them.

rogan josh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2009
blackburn
add some crushed oyster shell to your filter works great as a ph buffer your ph may be 7.5 out of the tap but is lifted by the water company to stop it affecting there pipes your true reading may be much lower
the stingrays bio load has a massive impact on this
example my ph is 7 out of the tap if i left it over a couple of weeks without buffering it would drop to ph 4 as the water where i live is extremly soft
as others have said bigger water changes and i would add a buffer as it cannot hurt
hope this helps

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store