Ph problem

Benthebassmaster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2021
My 55 gallon angelfish aquarium is at 8.2 in ph and I want to fix that. The reason that it isn’t fixed already is because I look at the reviews on proper ph solutions and some people think the products are bad and some think it’s good. What would be product that could lower the ph without hurting my fish

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Why not keep fish that live in a higher ph? If not or have sensitive fish. Then likely better to mix ur tap water with ro water. Once u figure out a ratio then it’s more stable. Adding meds to lower can cause some instability and stress out ur fish. There are products like api ph down and seachem acid buffer. Can also use peat moss to lower the water.

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
The PH solutions are looked at as bad because they can deplete oxygen in the tank, and will likely cause your PH to take wild swings up and down causing a lot of stress to the fish. RO water is really the only solution to lowering your PH but I think even the hardness of the water may still impact that (someone here can explain that a little better). You can let a cup of water sit out uncovered for 24 hours and test it to see if the PH drops, but likely it won’t have much of an impact. Others here have reported success with that. Wood is claimed to help PH but I haven’t found any driftwood to lower my PH significantly and it is only for a small amount time in my experience. Woods and leaves that release tannins will lower PH but that sort of creates other issues with maintenance and water changes (you can research black water). Unless you’re very committed that will also likely lead to large swings in PH.

I would let the water sit out and test it first. If it hits 7.9 or below, I think you’re fine for most fish in the hobby IMO. You’ll just need a large separate water container to fill up and let sit for water changes. If it stays above 8, I would just stay with African cichlids who inhabit that range of ph and it’ll make your water change routine simple. Others here do keep an assortment of fish in 8-8.2 ph that don’t naturally inhabit that range but it doesn’t seem there’s a consensus on it. One side will argue it’s not conducive long term to the health and others argue captive bred fish are very adaptable to ph.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Agreed. The middle ph is around 7.6-7.8, and is close enough for fish that can live in those ph ranges to adjust a bit. Cichlids liking acidic waters may not be best for you, but for the most part, you should be good.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
My 55 gallon angelfish aquarium is at 8.2 in ph and I want to fix that. The reason that it isn’t fixed already is because I look at the reviews on proper ph solutions and some people think the products are bad and some think it’s good. What would be product that could lower the ph without hurting my fish
I’ve found stable PH is more important than actual PH. I wouldn’t mess with it. That can lead to constant fluctuations

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If your angelfish are aquarium strain, generations bred in your area, (as stated above) the actual pH is not as important as stable high quality water, and this is achieved by frequent partial water changes. Wild type Angels would be problematic in your water.
Is the tap water pH also 8.2? What about alkalinity and hardness? These numbers can be accessed by googling your city EPA drinking water quality report (they are sometimes noted on your water bill).
Using peat in filters or bog wood in a tank, might lower pH by a tenth, but if your water is highly alkaline and hard, it will most likely resist those methods of pH change.
Using peat may also color the tank water brown like tea from the tannins.
55A3DAA7-93E0-4337-B812-38F8CDE175A8_1_201_a.jpeg
Because my tanks are outside they get seasonally inundated with tannic acidss from surrounding vegetation and leaf litter that falls in the tank, because there is so much tannic acid, my tank can drop an entire point from 8 down to 7, but in a few weeks always returns to 8, as it clears.
If you want to successfully breed angels, I would suggest getting an RO system, or blending water change water with rain water (if you live in the Pacific north west, this may be a viable option).
But if you just want a couple angels in a tank to watch, just giving them stable high quality water is the most important factor, as opposed to messing with pH by adding acids.
The problem is not so much the fish themselves, but certain bacteria (like those associated wit HLLE) do best in water between 7.5 and 8.5 pH, with a high mineral content. and become a chronic problem, show up as scarring as soft water cichlids age, because soft water cichlids have not evolved a resistance to these bacteria in S American mineral poor, softer low pH waters, such as hard water species like rift lake Africans, or Central Americans have..

Last edited:

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
PH does not equate to water hardness. The measure of water hardness is GH. Generally when city water has hard water, there is a high level of buffering capacity KH, which prevents the PH from going down if the KH is high enough. For instance, the PH down (and driftwood/almond leaves) will have little effect on a buffering capacity KH of 8 degrees. This is why folks recommend mixing reverse osmosis or distilled water to reduce the PH (effectively reducing GH and KH).

Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store