PH that peacock bass can tolerate?

heatherbeast

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2009
Atlanta, GA
heatherbeast.deviantart.com
Anyway, buffering.

I like to use a combination of baking soda (a VERY small amount goes a long way!), non-iodized salt, and epsom salts. 1 cup salt, 1 cup epsom salt, and 1-2 tablespoons baking soda for every 150 gallons. You may want to increase the amount of baking soda if you really want a pH 8 or 8.2 tank, but TAKE IT SLOW! A person could easily spike their pH from 6.0 to 8.4 with just a shake.

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
Hey Dave, if you want your Kelberi to be the centerpiece, make it your centerpiece. Why risk it's health?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I want it to be the centrepiece to my 400 gallon (only has 3 black rays in it so a nice WC kelberi would fill out middle no?), right now its growing out in the 75. Precisely why I am asking is because I don't want to risk its health. To be honest, if it is risking it's health, I'll spend the money on another setup for the ee lol.

GoodPho~D

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2009
In the Water
I'd say don't do it because considering that the kel is wild caught, its going to be stressed out like hell. Even if you slowly raised it. I think you'd have a better chance with a captive bred. Save yourself the worry.

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
Yeah, being a wild caught specimen, I wouldn't want it in a higher pH environment. If it was captive bred, I'm sure it would tolerate it better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
All my bass are in the 7.9-8.2 range. Most are wild caught. If you would ever like to see my apex data log I could probably post it.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
I don't know why people worry so much about PH. It only affects fish when there is a big sudden change . THATS IT!!!!
Total dissolved solids is what is more important.

GoodPho~D

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2009
In the Water
Well yeah the fish might not die but its going to be irritated as hell. Maybe if you know the collection point and the spot is somewhat near brackish water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store