Philly / Southern NJ LFS

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I googled the store to see if the name had changed and a few "review" type sites came up and most of the posts were not favorable.The complaints ranged from the new staff not knowledgeable or helpful and the store now being just another Pets Plus now.There were a few good reviews though.I knew one of the managers that was there back when the store had just opened but he left a few years ago.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
SO I checked out Giant and Monster today. Overall disappointing. Monster was a nice pet shop. Well taken care of and clean tanks, but it wasn't much different then a Petsmart. There was really nothing out of the ordinary.

Giant aquarium was a let down. The place really has potential to be great. Lots of tanks using the store space well, a huge koi pond, a large built in the wall tank with monster pacus and gars, and a large vat type tank not set up. The store had a nice selection of good looking flowerhorns (not my type of fish so not a real judge of quality), some nice small ballon gts, and 3 inch plus mediocore ebjds. All the other tanks where either empty or in terrible shape. Lots of dead fish in the tanks, lots of ich, and lots sickly looking fish. Had a couple nice tanks of parrots but half had ich, had some larger silver arrow that where struggling, and that was about it. The place kind of looks like it just gave up. Too bad.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Charney has spoken.There used to be a few four foot arapaima in that in wall tank.I thought they were still there...They are hit or miss pretty much as I've walked in there some days and scored nice sized thinbar dats,bowfin,and other fish and then there have been times like you've described.

stymie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I haven't been to Giant Aquarium in about a year. As I noted earlier, it's dingy in there. The store is located in the middle of a residential area. It's built on the first floor of a couple of old row-homes that were combined to make a store 50 or 60 years ago - maybe more. Most of the homes nearby are 100+ years old.
Giant Aquarium.JPG
When you walk in, you are walking into an area that was originally the living room. The koi pond goes from the old living room, down to the basement.
The huge homemade tank that houses the Arapaima, Pacu and RTC's in the back is located in an area that's normally the kitchen. This isn't a shopping center
that was built to house a pet shop. It's a couple of old houses that were modified to create a fish store way back in the day. If I had to guess, this place was probably
a weekend destination for people with kids in the 50's and 60's.

From an unusual standpoint, this place is worth seeing. There aren't many places like this left anymore.

For someone who is looking for a wide variety of fish, this isn't your place. However, if you are a Arowana or Parrot Fish keeper,
they had hundreds of each the last time I was there.

Personally, I prefer the Hidden Reef and Fish Factory which are located just outside of Philadelphia to the north.
The Hidden Reef is built in an old A&P. It's clean, large and they have just about every supply needed. They generally
have a wide variety of fish. The Fish Factory is small. They utilize most of their space. They have small holding tanks and
their fish seem a little more stressed to me.

I hear the Aquarium Center is good in New Jersey, but I've not had the opportunity to visit yet.

If anyone else has recommendations in the Philadelphia area, I'd be interested in hearing them.

Giant Aquarium.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store