Photo Journal: 29g Haplochromis Sp. 44 "Red Tail" [Load Warning]

Matt724

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2009
SOCAL & ANN ARBOR, MI
So again it's been a while since I've updated this thread, but unlike before when I was running into a lot of problems with the tank, this time it was because of finals and preparing my tanks for my extended leave for winter break. However, I am pleased to tell you that all my fish are doing well. A lot has happened since my last update. There's a lot so I'm just going to bullet point them so that I can streamline this post and you guys can get straight to the exciting part, the pictures! So here we go:

• First off, I stripped the female when I got back and got around 27 fry!
  • I put the fry into a 5 gallon growout tank that I set up beneath my main tank.
  • The fry are about 6 weeks old now, and are growing steadily.
  • I finally got the anubias plants that I was looking for and my water wisteria has gone wild and is growing well.
  • As a christmas gift, my roommates bought me two small bristlenose plecos, which were perfect for the fry tank to pick up any leftover food.
  • In order to prepare for my nearly 2 and a half week winter break absence, I performed major water changes on my tanks, as well as set my lights on a timer. I have automatic feeders set twice a day on minimum feedings settings so that I didn't have to worry about overfeeding. And my girlfriend has also checked up on them about halfway through the break to make sure everything's working and to dose a small amount of Seachem Prime to detoxify the water and ease up the pressure on the filter until I get back.
  • LASTLY, I finally invested in a decent camera so I can get better shots, so expect a lot more updates with better picture quality soon! The model is Nikon D5200 with the standard 18-55mm lens.

So, without further adieu, here's the pictures and videos that I've taken since the last update:

Full tank shots

The Fish

The Fry

The Videos (excuse the corny music - there was a lot of talking while i was filming - I do live in a college house)
29G Haplochromis Sp 44 Tank Clip (12/14/13)
[video=youtube;_0SJZeHEs78]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0SJZeHEs78[/video]

EDIT: So the post editor is only allowing me to post 1 video per post, so I'll just add the rest as subsequent posts.

I hope you enjoyed this update. As I said before, I'll be getting my new Nikon D5200 soon so expect better photos and video quality in my future updates. Also, if you're interested in the fry, I will probably be selling some soon so if you want some held for you, let me know.

Please comment and let me know your thoughts on my tank/setup/fish/whatever.

Happy holidays and Happy New Years!

Texchappy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
Lubbock, Tx
Very nice write up. I've a 29g that I've been pondering what to stock with and a small Lake Victoria hap harem is on the list.

The Nikon 5200 is a nice little camera and will serve you very well. I had a D40 for the longest time and it was a great camera. I've got some bits and bobs from it, if I find them I'll pm you.

Matt724

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2009
SOCAL & ANN ARBOR, MI
Very nice write up. I've a 29g that I've been pondering what to stock with and a small Lake Victoria hap harem is on the list.

The Nikon 5200 is a nice little camera and will serve you very well. I had a D40 for the longest time and it was a great camera. I've got some bits and bobs from it, if I find them I'll pm you.
Thank you. There are so many small african cichlids that you can choose from for your 29. I just checked my local listings/forums and found the best deals. And yeah, if you have any advice or anything to help me get started using nikon dslrs that would be great because this will be my first time using one.

Texchappy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
Lubbock, Tx
As far as the Nikon Matt, I'd see if your camera models is one with free access at www.nikonians.org (I would pay for access even though I'm not a college student). Jared Polin (fro knows photo dot com) on youtube has lots of useful videos as well Matt Granger. If you have any questions I can try to answer them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store