Picked up an Allenbatrachus grunniens (Grunting toadfish)

Cichlas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
Basingstoke, UK
www.totalfishkeeping.com
Chizzow;640041; said:
Can you provide more info such as temperature, ph, tank size, diet?

thanks and good luck!
Diet wise they get 20 or so goldies a month, all in one go which they finish in a few days. After that they get the occasional frozen prawn or whitebait. Mostly they just get to gorge once a month which tides them over.

I'll get details of params later.

Chizzow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2006
Vancouver
Cichlas;640340; said:
Diet wise they get 20 or so goldies a month, all in one go which they finish in a few days. After that they get the occasional frozen prawn or whitebait. Mostly they just get to gorge once a month which tides them over.

I'll get details of params later.
did they take the prawn on their own or did you have to tempt them?

whats the tank size?

I've tried beefheart, silversides but had no luck. Seems like the food has to be live.

mike C

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Chizzow;630636; said:
have you had any luck feeding it frozen food!?

Sorry for the slow reply. I havent offered it anything frozen yet. I think I will attempt feeding it a frozen prawn real soon. I will let you know how it goes.

Cichlas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
Basingstoke, UK
www.totalfishkeeping.com
Chizzow;641359; said:
did they take the prawn on their own or did you have to tempt them?
They just take them as they please. Normally I drop a prawn right in front of their nose and they will take the first one as it drops past. I then leave a few on the bottom and they take them over the next couple of hours.

An update on the spawn. Got back home after a week away, the eggs were gone. No signs of any fry and the female toadfish was dead. A pretty s**t end result really :(

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
Sorry to hear that Cichlas..

I had one for around a month, it was in FW when I bought it and I was slowly acclimating it to BW with a Salinity of 1.012.. never got there though. It typically ate small rosies and guppies and the occasional piece of raw shrimp. Well it ate so much I tried feeding it a few larger rosies and it appearantly choked on one cause when I found it belly up it had 4 feeders in it's mouth.. wish I still had the little guy, one of my favorite fish.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
There is a guy ( he is also a member of this forum , I'll tell him about this thread ) tht keeps 3 together in freshwater in a 150 gallon with several other fishes, for quite a while now..with no problem whatsoever..

mike C

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Cichlas;643418; said:
They just take them as they please. Normally I drop a prawn right in front of their nose and they will take the first one as it drops past. I then leave a few on the bottom and they take them over the next couple of hours.

An update on the spawn. Got back home after a week away, the eggs were gone. No signs of any fry and the female toadfish was dead. A pretty s**t end result really :(
That's really crappy news dude.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store