PICKEREL TANK (Plant Info)

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
wow I just noticed I was tagged in this way early on! sorry man I never saw it.

pickerel are great. My grass pickerel would eat out of my hand, and they were wild caught initially.

as for plants, stick with horn wart or even parrots feather. that's what I always had in with my pickerel, the plants are hardy and they loved stalking in among them.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Oh and P.S. be careful with mixing redfins and grass. While the size difference isn't monumental, my pickerel were every bit of 10-11" when they passed on me, and the redfin I kept a while back barely hit 6". Not that cannibalism is really prevalent among the species but just to be safe regardless.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
I appreciate the info. My Redfin are already 6 inch and there only 8 months old. When did yours max out? I was hoping they would get around 9in.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
Oh and P.S. be careful with mixing redfins and grass. While the size difference isn't monumental, my pickerel were every bit of 10-11" when they passed on me, and the redfin I kept a while back barely hit 6". Not that cannibalism is really prevalent among the species but just to be safe regardless.

I appreciate the info. My Redfin are already 6 inch and there only 8 months old. When did yours max out? I was hoping they would get around 9in.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
my redfins maxed at around 6 inches, granted they had growing to do before I lost them, but they noticeably slowed down in growth at that point. you have good genetics then haha, 9" is pretty normal for them I'd say.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
my redfins maxed at around 6 inches, granted they had growing to do before I lost them, but they noticeably slowed down in growth at that point. you have good genetics then haha, 9" is pretty normal for them I'd say.
Yea I knew they stayed smaller than grass p's when I ordered them they were already about 5 inch and I think the guy said they were 6 months. So I hope they get larger! When you had yours were they housed with any other non pick species?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Yea I knew they stayed smaller than grass p's when I ordered them they were already about 5 inch and I think the guy said they were 6 months. So I hope they get larger! When you had yours were they housed with any other non pick species?
nope, I kept my redfins in their own 55. My grass pickerels were with sunfish, bass, crappie, catfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store