pig nosed turtle/ spiny soft shell turtle fully submergable

sleepingwithfishes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2018
hey guys thanks for the help with the sump its running amazing other than family says it's to loud lol!

my question for turtles is there a true fully aquatic fresh water turtle?? i've been researching heavily the last couple of days and the closest i've come to find is the pig nosed which is endangered and expensive which is a no go. next would be a spiny soft shell turtle, i have personally seen them in a fully submerged tank with no basking area is this OK as long as it can come up for air, right??? also if its small enough can it be taught that the fish in the tank are not food such as starting them right off on raw shrimp, pellets, greens, ETC.. ive talk to people who have had the spiny in fully submerged with no issue so i think its doable so i guess it comes to if it'll be compatible with my fish

RedDevilRyan

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2007
New Jersey
Fly Rivers are pretty much the only fully aquatic Freshwater turtle but I've seen softshells and giant Mexican musk turtles kept without basking spots with no problems. I have also seen other North American musk turtle species kept in fully aquatic setups and they do fine, although keep in mind they aren't great swimmers so I'd try to avoid deep tanks and high flow.

sleepingwithfishes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2018
Fly Rivers are pretty much the only fully aquatic Freshwater turtle but I've seen softshells and giant Mexican musk turtles kept without basking spots with no problems. I have also seen other North American musk turtle species kept in fully aquatic setups and they do fine, although keep in mind they aren't great swimmers so I'd try to avoid deep tanks and high flow.

awesome i was thinking the same as far as feeding do you think if its young enough it will have any problems with the other tank mates?

RedDevilRyan

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2007
New Jersey
awesome i was thinking the same as far as feeding do you think if its young enough it will have any problems with the other tank mates?
It really depends on how voracious the tank mates are. Just keep an eye on them and make sure they're getting enough food. You can also tong feed them if need be. I've got friends with aquatic turtles in big multi-species setups and for feeding they take the turtles out and put them in a bin with some water so they can eat in peace, then put them back in the main tank when they're done.

sleepingwithfishes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2018
It really depends on how voracious the tank mates are. Just keep an eye on them and make sure they're getting enough food. You can also tong feed them if need be. I've got friends with aquatic turtles in big multi-species setups and for feeding they take the turtles out and put them in a bin with some water so they can eat in peace, then put them back in the main tank when they're done.
awesome i think im gonna pull the trigger on it! gonna do a spiny soft shell seems the closest to the fly river/pig nosed, as far as tank mates got 2 bichirs, aro, 2blood parrots, severum, rope, BGK, GRN Terror, in my 250, my lady thought there pretty cool and my soon will love it too! thanks for the insight.. Also is that your fly river in your profile pic it pretty cool

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
awesome i think im gonna pull the trigger on it! gonna do a spiny soft shell seems the closest to the fly river/pig nosed, as far as tank mates got 2 bichirs, aro, 2blood parrots, severum, rope, BGK, GRN Terror, in my 250, my lady thought there pretty cool and my soon will love it too! thanks for the insight.. Also is that your fly river in your profile pic it pretty cool
Still need uvb light for proper care, I would go with a juvy florida softshell

Reactions: sleepingwithfishes

hibackgoldaro

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Toronto, ON
pink belly sideneck turtles are fully aquatic also...if you keep water temps in low 80s they don't need to bask for warmth...i have basking light and dock setup for mine and i've never seen her climb out to bask at all...before i rescued her..previous owner had her in an unheated tank and she would come out to bask but since with me..never has...

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

ProFishKeeper

Feeder Fish
Aug 6, 2018
are there any fully aquatic turtles that can do well with fish and live in a 30 gallon with water temp. around 72-76'f

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store