Pike cichlid and Bichir as tankmates

Colby Webre

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2022
In my 125 gallon tank I have just 1 ornate bichir that is probably 8 or 9 inches long and his width is a little thicker than my thumb. I saw a zebra pike cichlid for sale for $135 for a 3.5 inch juvenile and I was wondering if you guys think that my bichir would eat this thing if I added it to my tank? I have never fed the bichir feeder fish (I got him when he was probably 2 inches long) and he has never been aggressive before and Im pretty sure hes blind because he swims straight into driftwood all the time.

IMG-1159.jpg

IMG-1161.jpg

IMG-1162.jpg

IMG-1163.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It could get eaten due to size differences. I’d maybe get a divider and grow out the zebrina. Wouldn’t take a risk on an expensive pike that don’t come in that size very often.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
cant trust fish LOL. but i will say. my pike cichlid makes my azul look slow. hes taken a swipe at him a few time and hasnt even come close.

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
I keep a few bichirs ranging from 5" to an Endi at 14" and whilst they may look blind, slow and cumbersome I also think that the main trait of a Bichir is to hunt they are one of the most predatory fish that I have ever kept I think its just ingrained within them

I feed my Endi the biggest lancefish that are about 4" and they go straight down the hatch

Personally I wouldnt risk a zebrina thats shaped like a lancefish with a Bichir thats over twice the size

Reactions: tlindsey

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
Late reply but maybe someone is still looking at this thread. Size difference is the main factor but when they get older the pike might react to the bichir like it would to another pike. My smaller belly crawler would constantly try to fight my Senegal, which would completely ignore it until the pike would actually bite it.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store