Pinch your barbs!

I'll never do this. It's not like every time you go fishing, you hook yourself. I catch a lot of big fish, such as Grass Carp, I would be pissed if I fought one for an hour on ultra light only to loose it because of no barb and then see it die because I wasn't able to help it back into the water properly.

I caught a crap load of native fish for my 500 and few other tanks. The few fish that got messed up a little bit from the barb, all healed up rather fast. I realize there are times when it can get infected, but anything that has an open wound with or without a barb can still get infected. I'm sure the fish can still feel the sharp hook penetrating his face with or without a barb.

If I did do this, it would be for the challenge but on small fish only. Fighting big fish and not being able to help them till they can swim off on their own is not a good things in my eyes. It takes me 15 minutes sometimes for me to help a fish get strong enough to swim off and not float belly up. Big fish build up lactic acid which can kill them very fast, especially in the hotter months.

A lot of times if you embed a hook deep inside you, your going to get it checked out anyways. So you will loose a day if fishing. Some folks may not be up to date on shots, they may get worried about infections and want it cleaned up, etc.

I've been fishing since I was 9, been hooked once in the lip and that was because the other guy walked behind me when casting. It was a small top water fly, dull and semi rusted hook.
Do what you like. I respect your decision, though I may not agree with it.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
I like your stance on this redearsunfish first and foremost.

I'm pretty much solely a bass fisher, I rarely fish saltwater and fishing for anything else is seasonal, like crappie.

That being said, weekends are my only true time to fish. I can't help that the pressure and weather patterns are confusing for everyone in the state and I'm sure the fish too. And it's rough, some days are great and I'd love to pinch my barbs. But I can't predict what day will be good because I work 14-16 hour days and don't care, I look if it's going to rain and that's it and I go if it's not going to. So I may only get 1 bite period, can happen on a predicted good day too. Hard for me to possible give up my 1 bite and lose a fish over a barbless or pinched barbed hook. Only time I don't revive my fish is when they are small and I reduce fight time a lot to not wear them out. Otherwise, I'm stepping in the water with my boots or when on the boat reviving them until they bite my thumb and they are PISSED and I usually get wet from them running away lol.

Ironically, not wearing them out is when I've gotten hooked too. Small fish, quick fight and they set the hook into me. All 5 times. I carry the tools to help myself out. Snips or needle nose to cut the barb, iodine, bandaids. The last time I wasn't as fortunate. Treble got me and hit the bone, time to go get a local and have them do it. Hurt far too much.

I like your stance on this redearsunfish first and foremost.

I'm pretty much solely a bass fisher, I rarely fish saltwater and fishing for anything else is seasonal, like crappie.

That being said, weekends are my only true time to fish. I can't help that the pressure and weather patterns are confusing for everyone in the state and I'm sure the fish too. And it's rough, some days are great and I'd love to pinch my barbs. But I can't predict what day will be good because I work 14-16 hour days and don't care, I look if it's going to rain and that's it and I go if it's not going to. So I may only get 1 bite period, can happen on a predicted good day too. Hard for me to possible give up my 1 bite and lose a fish over a barbless or pinched barbed hook. Only time I don't revive my fish is when they are small and I reduce fight time a lot to not wear them out. Otherwise, I'm stepping in the water with my boots or when on the boat reviving them until they bite my thumb and they are PISSED and I usually get wet from them running away lol.

Ironically, not wearing them out is when I've gotten hooked too. Small fish, quick fight and they set the hook into me. All 5 times. I carry the tools to help myself out. Snips or needle nose to cut the barb, iodine, bandaids. The last time I wasn't as fortunate. Treble got me and hit the bone, time to go get a local and have them do it. Hurt far too much.
You sound like a responsible fisherman, my kind of fisherman.

Sometimes I will fish for 12 to 14 hours straight and only catch 6 or 7 bass, but I still bend my barbs down. Heck, since I lost my boat 2 years ago I have fished a total of 5 hours in two years from shore. When I get a new boat, hopefully in 2 to 3 years, and I can fish again (economy and family responsibilities have grounded me), I will still pinch my barbs, but again I respect your decision.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
You sound like a responsible fisherman, my kind of fisherman.

Sometimes I will fish for 12 to 14 hours straight and only catch 6 or 7 bass, but I still bend my barbs down. Heck, since I lost my boat 2 years ago I have fished a total of 5 hours in two years from shore. When I get a new boat, hopefully in 2 to 3 years, and I can fish again (economy and family responsibilities have grounded me), I will still pinch my barbs, but again I respect your decision.
How do you lose a boat, it's not as if it's the size of keys or a wallet....but lets hope it's less than 2-3 years away from getting another.

I do my best to be responsible and accountable for everything I do. I have studied fish that I've caught for their behaviors in my tank to make me a better fisherman. Takes 3-7 days for the fish to heal, even with a bad hook that has ripped their lip. And still active, eating, hunting and swimming with no problem.

How do you lose a boat, it's not as if it's the size of keys or a wallet....but lets hope it's less than 2-3 years away from getting another.

I do my best to be responsible and accountable for everything I do. I have studied fish that I've caught for their behaviors in my tank to make me a better fisherman. Takes 3-7 days for the fish to heal, even with a bad hook that has ripped their lip. And still active, eating, hunting and swimming with no problem.
She threw a piston and seized up. The repair I couldn't do myself, and the cost of repair was prohibitive. The boat was a 30 year old fibreglass bowrider. Without an engine she wasn't worth much. A new engine was way out of my price range. Plus a hundred other small things added up to the boat being gone.

Thanks, I hope it's less than 3 years too!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store