piraya or caribe

jessman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2005
In your opinions which piranha is more aggressive the piraya or the caribe? I'm trying to decide on which one to get. I want the most agressive.
Thanks for your opinions.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
equal. Piraya cost 4-5 times what a cariba does though, and can get bigger

honestly though if you're looking for aggressive fish, you may be disappointed with piranhas

unknownuza13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2005
agreed... it depends on your definition of agressive as well. I have had red bellies on two different occations. They would destroy feeders and things of that sort in front of me after a few weeks which was cool but as they hit the 4-5 " mark instead of being more comfortable around me I feel it went the opposite way. When I would go to lift the hood up to drop in feeders or feed frozen food they would scurry and hit the sides so hard they would seem to stun themselves. They did this ALL THE TIME. I sold them back to the pet store. I know you didnt ask about red bellies but I think most people just have the wrong idea of how piranhas are made up.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
unknownuza13 said:
agreed... it depends on your definition of agressive as well. I have had red bellies on two different occations. They would destroy feeders and things of that sort in front of me after a few weeks which was cool but as they hit the 4-5 " mark instead of being more comfortable around me I feel it went the opposite way. When I would go to lift the hood up to drop in feeders or feed frozen food they would scurry and hit the sides so hard they would seem to stun themselves. They did this ALL THE TIME. I sold them back to the pet store. I know you didnt ask about red bellies but I think most people just have the wrong idea of how piranhas are made up.
Mine would try for my fingers in the shoal tank but thats because of the way I fed them, my largest was raised solitary and was mello, you could even scratch his back or hand feed him. There are a lot of fish that are more agressive but you need to better define agression, I consider puffers some of the meanest fish you can get and bluegill are often tank bullies.

hemptation88

Candiru
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
new jersey
i got a shoal of 7 baby caribes and they all run away when my hand gets close to them, im hopin they will get more agressive as they get larger

jessman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2005
Thankyou all for your response. I have another question. I have a 220gal tank is it possible to keep the caribes and the pirayas together?
Thanks for your inputs.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
jessman said:
Thankyou all for your response. I have another question. I have a 220gal tank is it possible to keep the caribes and the pirayas together?
Thanks for your inputs.
totally, thats a setup practiced by many. You could even throw a nattereri in there if you wanted, just for the sake of saying you have all 3 pygocentrus species in your tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store